microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Using Query Strings in FP2003 & Sharepoint

Jim Clouse

4/1/2004 4:23:00 PM

I never got an answer to this posting after about two weeks so I am trying
again. Hope everyone understands.

We are using FP2003 along with Sharepoint Services to build XML data-driven
websites. We use a SQL database that contains fields like countryname,
statename, cityname, etc.

I want to use query strings to perform tasks such as getting all the hotels
in Nashville, TN. How do I use query strings in FP2003 with Sharepoint to
render the results that I want. (I do not want to use the filter option to
do this since it will take a lot longer to query a 56,000 record database
when all I want is to access 125 records that meet this criteria.)

Documentation on using query strings with Sharepoint and FP2003 is severely
lacking.

Thanks!

JWC

2 Answers

John Jansen \(MSFT\)

Hi Jim,

Using Filter will actually be faster than Query Strings, because for SQL
data the filter is preformed at the Data Source level, where as, with Query
Strings, the filter is written into the XSL transform, so all the records
will be returned first, and then they will be filtered.

For arbitrary XML sources, the filter and the QueryString will be equivelent
performance because both happen at the data view level, but for SQL and WSS
List data, using Filter will be faster.

That said, if you want to use QueryStrings, here is an article I wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/...

You could also use Web Part Connections, where you would have a Data View of
just the City names and pass that connection information (Data..Web Part
Connections) to the page with your full data view on it. Again, this filter
will happen at the data source level, so it should be relatively fast.
--
Thanks!
John Jansen
"Jim Clouse" <jwclouse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> I never got an answer to this posting after about two weeks so I am trying
> again. Hope everyone understands.
>

> We are using FP2003 along with Sharepoint Services to build XML
data-driven
> websites. We use a SQL database that contains fields like countryname,
> statename, cityname, etc.
>
> I want to use query strings to perform tasks such as getting all the
hotels
> in Nashville, TN. How do I use query strings in FP2003 with Sharepoint to
> render the results that I want. (I do not want to use the filter option
> do this since it will take a lot longer to query a 56,000 record database
> when all I want is to access 125 records that meet this criteria.)
>
> Documentation on using query strings with Sharepoint and FP2003 is
severely
> lacking.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JWC

Jim Clouse

Thanks John for the quick and thorough answer. I really appreciate it.

I had thought about connecting Web Parts and now that you have recommended
it, that is exactly how I will proceed.

Jim