microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Protecting HTML, Hiding Address Bar

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/1/2004 12:16:00 PM

I've read the threads on protecting HTML posted in January. Wondering if anything has changed. I found a product called HTML-Protector and am wondering if it really works. I want to sell my books on my Website as PDF downloads. I set up the robots.txt document so the robots wouldn't index the page, but none of this will do me any good if a person sees the address bar once they get to the page with the PDF download, or if they can View Source on the page that links to the PDF

Any ideas on what I can do? I'm not a programmer and am using FrontPage 2002. Thanks.
6 Answers

Kevin Spencer

No. No product protects HTML. Nothing can prevent people from copying your
images. Disabling aspects of your browser's operational capabilities drives
traffic away from your site. Devote your attention to things you CAN
control!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"ProductivityExpert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read the threads on protecting HTML posted in January. Wondering if
anything has changed. I found a product called HTML-Protector and am
wondering if it really works. I want to sell my books on my Website as PDF
downloads. I set up the robots.txt document so the robots wouldn't index the
page, but none of this will do me any good if a person sees the address bar
once they get to the page with the PDF download, or if they can View Source
on the page that links to the PDF.

> Any ideas on what I can do? I'm not a programmer and am using FrontPage
2002. Thanks.

Mike Mueller

Futile.

In regards to HTML protector, read this most excellent
article from JimCo Addins:
http://www.jimcoaddins.com/p...

Remove address bar. Yes the URL will not be visible, but
all you need to do is bookmark it for the URL

Mike

:
: Any ideas on what I can do? I'm not a programmer and am
using FrontPage 2002. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Thanks Mike. But, I don't know what you mean by this
Remove address bar. Yes the URL will not be visible, but all you need to do is bookmark it for the URL.

If I can hide URL on the page with the PDF, my problems will be solved. Could you please tell me how to do this. Thanks

Mike Mueller

If you bookmark a page, when someone uses the bookmark they
will go back to the page and the address bar will be
visible, and your URL will be displayed.

Mike

wrote in message
: Thanks Mike. But, I don't know what you mean by this:
: Remove address bar. Yes the URL will not be visible, but
all you need to do is bookmark it for the URL.
:
: If I can hide URL on the page with the PDF, my problems
will be solved. Could you please tell me how to do this.
Thanks.
:

Kevin Spencer

Your problems will NOT be solved. This issue has been going round and round
for years now. Take it from us old guys.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

"ProductivityExpert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Mike. But, I don't know what you mean by this:
> Remove address bar. Yes the URL will not be visible, but all you need to
do is bookmark it for the URL.

> If I can hide URL on the page with the PDF, my problems will be solved.
Could you please tell me how to do this. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Thanks Guys. I sure hope they're working on this. For now, I guess the solution is to change the link every day.