microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Installation help from Microsoft

Brian White

3/7/2004 10:07:00 PM

Just how frustrating can Microsoft be? I want to install
my Frontpage 2000 upgrade which was installed on a
previous machine. Never on this one. Naturally, it won't
install because it doesn't see any qualifying product on
my hard disk. The obvious solution is to either buy a new
Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online help.

Would you believe that the online maze demands product ID
before proceeding to the contact stage. Product ID by the
way is only visible to those who have already installed
the product, not to those who want product help.

Does anybody know a way around this impasse. Thanks.
4 Answers

Jupiter Jones

You incorrectly state "The obvious solution is to either buy a new
Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online help."
There is no choice here.
You will not be able to install the upgrade without a qualifying
product.
The way around it to buy the full version.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net...

"Brian White" <brianwhite@dock.net> wrote in message
> Just how frustrating can Microsoft be? I want to install
> my Frontpage 2000 upgrade which was installed on a
> previous machine. Never on this one. Naturally, it won't
> install because it doesn't see any qualifying product on
> my hard disk. The obvious solution is to either buy a new
> Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online help.
>
> Would you believe that the online maze demands product ID
> before proceeding to the contact stage. Product ID by the
> way is only visible to those who have already installed
> the product, not to those who want product help.
>
> Does anybody know a way around this impasse. Thanks.

Steve Easton

Or, install the old version on the new computer and then *Upgrade.*
That's why it's called an upgrade.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

> You incorrectly state "The obvious solution is to either buy a new
> Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online help."
> There is no choice here.
> You will not be able to install the upgrade without a qualifying
> product.
> The way around it to buy the full version.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net...
>

> "Brian White" <brianwhite@dock.net> wrote in message
> > Just how frustrating can Microsoft be? I want to install
> > my Frontpage 2000 upgrade which was installed on a
> > previous machine. Never on this one. Naturally, it won't
> > install because it doesn't see any qualifying product on
> > my hard disk. The obvious solution is to either buy a new
> > Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online help.
> >
> > Would you believe that the online maze demands product ID
> > before proceeding to the contact stage. Product ID by the
> > way is only visible to those who have already installed
> > the product, not to those who want product help.
> >
> > Does anybody know a way around this impasse. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Not so. I've been this route before. If I go out and buy
an upgrade to my 2000 version, I have no guarantee that
the upgrade will inspect my frontpage 2000 CD and then
install intself. What I expect is for the upgrade to
demand the version I had before I got upgrade to frontpage
2000. I am not a stranger to Microsoft products.

in message
>> You incorrectly state "The obvious solution is to
either buy a new
>> Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online
help."
>> There is no choice here.
>> You will not be able to install the upgrade without a
qualifying
>> product.
>> The way around it to buy the full version.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net...
>>

>> "Brian White" <brianwhite@dock.net> wrote in message
>> > Just how frustrating can Microsoft be? I want to
install
>> > my Frontpage 2000 upgrade which was installed on a
>> > previous machine. Never on this one. Naturally, it
won't
>> > install because it doesn't see any qualifying product
on
>> > my hard disk. The obvious solution is to either buy a
new
>> > Frontpage or try Microsoft's web sit to get online
help.

>> > Would you believe that the online maze demands
product ID
>> > before proceeding to the contact stage. Product ID by
the
>> > way is only visible to those who have already
installed
>> > the product, not to those who want product help.
>> >
>> > Does anybody know a way around this impasse. Thanks.
>>

>.

Jupiter Jones

I am not sure what you are saying.
You should reword your statement.
But it should be no surprise for an upgrade to want to verify the
existence of the prior version.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net...