wawang

6/6/2007 3:34:00 AM

Hi Suds,

To troubleshoot such issues, you will first need to isolate it by trying
following approaches:

1) Try to not to use Reg-Free manifest first, try to use it as a normal
registered COM component; this will determine if it's related to Reg-Free
manifest.

2) Try to determine when the error occurs: when creating instance or
calling a method of it?

3) Use a simpler client to test it to see if it's the client's problem or
the COM component.

4) Use Windbg to attach to the client.exe when the error occurs and see if
you can find related information.

Please note, for such non-reproducible and complicated issue, newsgroup
support isn't the best way to handle it. Please contact our Customer
Support and Service if this issue is critical for your business. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

Suds

Thanks for your reply.
My client does work when the .NET component is registered and the problem
does occur when the instance is created. However, I will take your advice in
4) and contact customer support if I can't figure it out.

However, I do have a question about how to control the version of the
assemblies when I use Reg-Free COM. Specifically how do I specify the .NET
generated version number for a .NET assembly in the manifest file of the
assembly. Here is the situation.

Let's says my assembly is DotNetAssembly.dll. I have DotNetAseembly.manifest
that has an assemblyIdentity element with version attribute. If I specify
the assembly version to be 1.1.0.0 in
DotNetAssembly.dll and the version attribute in DotNetAseembly.manifest to
be 1.1.0.0, it works.But how do it get this work if I want my assembly
version to he .NET generated assembly version (1.0.26**.****). I have to
modify my manifest file before it compiles as a resource, but the assembly
version is generated only after the assembly is compiled.

I hope my question makes sense.
Thanks
Suds

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <wawang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Suds,
>
> To troubleshoot such issues, you will first need to isolate it by trying
> following approaches:
>
> 1) Try to not to use Reg-Free manifest first, try to use it as a normal
> registered COM component; this will determine if it's related to Reg-Free
> manifest.
>
> 2) Try to determine when the error occurs: when creating instance or
> calling a method of it?
>
> 3) Use a simpler client to test it to see if it's the client's problem or
> the COM component.
>
> 4) Use Windbg to attach to the client.exe when the error occurs and see if
> you can find related information.
>

> Please note, for such non-reproducible and complicated issue, newsgroup
> support isn't the best way to handle it. Please contact our Customer
> Support and Service if this issue is critical for your business. Thanks.
>

> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your
> reply
> promptly.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

> rights.

wawang

Hi Suds,

Thanks for the update.

Currently Visual Studio 2005 doesn't do very well for the manifest file;
many tasks still require to be done manually.

For the version issue, you have to manually control the version number,
don't use the auto-increment version feature, such as:

[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.*")]

After manually editing the version number, you need to update the manifest
too.

If you really need to make it update the manifest automatically, you can
create some script/tool to sync it, and you can use a Pre-Build rule to
call this script/tool.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

Suds

Well I observed that the when my .NET assemblies are not signed, the
[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.*")] way of incrementing version numbers
works (provided I specify 1.0.0.0) as my version in the manifest file). I
does not work if the assembly is signed unless the manifest file has the
exact version.
I will manually specify my version number, when my assembly is signed.
Thanks for you answering my questions.