Calling 64-bit com interface (through PIA) from 32-bit application

Phred Menyhert

5/30/2007 7:09:00 PM

Hello,

Here is my development situation: I have a 64-bit COM (written in unmanaged
C++) out-of-process-service which runs as a Windows Service. I would like to
call it from a 32-bit ASP.NET (written in C#) application running on the same
machine.

The ASP.NET application, though written in C# (which should be able to run
as either 32- or 64-bit), must run as a 32-bit application (i.e. with IIS
configured to run under WOW64) because it loads 32-bit DLLs into it's address
space.

I want to create a Primary Interop Assembly to do this cross-component call
because it would fit with the current structure of the project. So, my
question is, how do I create a PIA for the 64-COM application so that it can
be called from the 32-bit application? I assume I need to use tlbimp for
this but what command-line arguments do I need to supply it to tell it I am
calling from a 32-bit app to a 64-bit COM server?

I have not been able to find anything on-line or any books that go into this
issue. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Phred