Com Interop permanently locked in /bin

unknown

5/2/2007 2:42:00 PM

I have wrapped a 3rd party COM DLL (Persits AspEMail
http://www.as...) with an interop using the TlbImp tool. I have
written a .Net Assembly which references the interop assembly. Then I
wrote an ASP.Net application which references the .Net Assembly.

AspEmail.dll (COM)
Persits.AspEmail.dll (Interop)
EMailManager.dll (.Net Assembly)
http://localhost/ (Web Application)

Once the .Net assembly is loaded by the web application, both the .Net
assembly and the Interop are both permanently locked (can't delete them)
in the /bin directory (not using GAC due to shared hosting) until the
w3wp.exe process recycles.

I guess the simplest explanation is that I flat out just don't
understand why. My theory is that the .Net assembly is locked because
the interop is locked, and the interop is locked possibly due to the COM
dll being improperly ref counted. The bad ref counts could be either the
COM dll failing to destroy its own objects or the TblImp tool produced
an interop assembly which fails to destroy COM objects appropriately.

Does it sound like this theory holds any water? If so, what are some
alternatives? If TblImp gave me something bad, I suppose I could write
my own interop manually. If it's the COM dll not disposing it objects,
well there's nothing I can do about that, right?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
WALDO

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***