Excel 2003 + 2007 on dev machine - deployment problems on Excel 2003 machine

David Hearn

5/2/2007 11:42:00 AM

I'm writing a C# app which will populate an Excel spreadsheet. The app
references Excel using COM.

I have Office 2007 on my machine, but the machine which will be running
the application will have Office 2003. Therefore, when I added the
Excel COM reference, I chose the Excel 11 one.

Now that I'm trying the application on another machine I'm getting
errors saying that the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel version 12.0.0.0
is missing. Viewing the object browser I see that
Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel is described as:

Assembly Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll

This is strange condisering in the Solution Explorer view, I see the
properties for the Excel Reference set to:
Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library
C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll

It's saying it's Excel 11, but then references the Excel 12 interop
libraries. I've removed the reference and added it again and it's still
the same.

Any suggestions as to how I fix this? I need to keep Office 2007 on
this machine, but need to be able to build for Excel 2003.

Thanks

David
16 Answers

Bill F

I had the same issue. After some research and testing, I discovered that
one cannot develop a .Net application for Excel on a development machine
that has Office 2007 and have this application work on a computer that has
Office 2003. However, your development machine can have Office 2003 and
your application will work on machines with Office 2003 or Office 2007.
Consequently, I had to go back to a development machine with Office 2003.

CAUTION: as you will see in my post that follows this message, when I
uninstalled Office 2007 from my development machine and installed office
2003, I had big problems getting the application .exe to work. I'm still
trying to resolve this.

Bill

"David Hearn" <david.hearn@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> I'm writing a C# app which will populate an Excel spreadsheet. The app
> references Excel using COM.
>
> I have Office 2007 on my machine, but the machine which will be running
> the application will have Office 2003. Therefore, when I added the Excel
> COM reference, I chose the Excel 11 one.
>
> Now that I'm trying the application on another machine I'm getting errors
> saying that the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel version 12.0.0.0 is
> missing. Viewing the object browser I see that
> Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel is described as:
>
> Assembly Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
> C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
>
> This is strange condisering in the Solution Explorer view, I see the
> properties for the Excel Reference set to:
> Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
> Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library
> C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
>
> It's saying it's Excel 11, but then references the Excel 12 interop
> libraries. I've removed the reference and added it again and it's still
> the same.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I fix this? I need to keep Office 2007 on this
> machine, but need to be able to build for Excel 2003.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

David Hearn

From what I've been able to deduce, Office 2007 has redirects from
Office 11 PIAs to Office 12 PIAs because they 12/2007 ones are backward
compatible to 11/2003.

This means that whenever I add a reference to the Office 2003 Interop, I
actually (without warning) get redirected to the Office 2007 Iterop files.

This causes a problem as when you build it, it references the Office
2007 ones, and deploying onto a Office 2003 machine - it doesn't have
the Office 2007 ones.

Everything would be fine if my dev machine was Office 2003 and the
depoyment machines were 2003 or 2007.

The solution it seems is in your app.config file redirect the request
for v12 ones to v11.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel"
publicKeyToken="71e9bce111e9429c"
culture="neutral" />
<publisherPolicy apply="yes" />
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="12.0.0.0"
newVersion="11.0.0.0"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
</configuration>

It's working for me with that as the main app.config file. The actual
app doesn't use the Excel part, but a DLL it references does, and it
seems that it's only the main app which needs this, not the DLL.

I'm also not sure whether this is a recommended way of doing it - but as
I said, works for me.

Hope that helps you.

David

Bill F wrote:
> I had the same issue. After some research and testing, I discovered
> that one cannot develop a .Net application for Excel on a development
> machine that has Office 2007 and have this application work on a
> computer that has Office 2003. However, your development machine can
> have Office 2003 and your application will work on machines with Office
> 2003 or Office 2007. Consequently, I had to go back to a development
> machine with Office 2003.
>
> CAUTION: as you will see in my post that follows this message, when I
> uninstalled Office 2007 from my development machine and installed office
> 2003, I had big problems getting the application .exe to work. I'm
> still trying to resolve this.
>
> Bill
>

> "David Hearn" <david.hearn@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm writing a C# app which will populate an Excel spreadsheet. The
>> app references Excel using COM.
>>
>> I have Office 2007 on my machine, but the machine which will be
>> running the application will have Office 2003. Therefore, when I
>> added the Excel COM reference, I chose the Excel 11 one.
>>
>> Now that I'm trying the application on another machine I'm getting
>> errors saying that the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel version 12.0.0.0
>> is missing. Viewing the object browser I see that
>> Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel is described as:
>>
>> Assembly Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
>> C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
>>

>> This is strange condisering in the Solution Explorer view, I see the
>> properties for the Excel Reference set to:
>> Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
>> Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library
>> C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
>>

>> It's saying it's Excel 11, but then references the Excel 12 interop
>> libraries. I've removed the reference and added it again and it's
>> still the same.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how I fix this? I need to keep Office 2007 on
>> this machine, but need to be able to build for Excel 2003.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> David

Bill F

David:

So, let me see if I got this right. You build your application on a machine
with Office 2007 installed. When you deploy the application to a machine
with Office 2003, you include the app.config file you desribed below. When
you deploy your application to a machine with Office 2007, you don't include
the app.config because the redirect is not needed. Is this correct?

Getting Closer Bill
(maybe)

> [...]
>>> is missing. Viewing the object browser I see that
>>> Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel is described as:
>>>
>>> Assembly Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
>>> C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
>>>
>>> This is strange condisering in the Solution Explorer view, I see the
>>> properties for the Excel Reference set to:
>>> Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel
>>> Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library
>>> C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\12.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
>>>
>>> It's saying it's Excel 11, but then references the Excel 12 interop
>>> libraries. I've removed the reference and added it again and it's still
>>> the same.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to how I fix this? I need to keep Office 2007 on
>>> this machine, but need to be able to build for Excel 2003.

wawang

Hi David,

Looks like you've installed Office 2007's PIA (Primary Interop Assembly).
In VS2005, when you add a COM reference, it will try to check first if
there's any PIA registered for that COM component, if found, it will use
that PIA from GAC.

Please uninstall Office 2007's PIA and install Office 2003 PIA from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3c9a983a-...
8ba0-d36d67e0f4ad&displaylang=en

For more information about PIA:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa3...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

MissPing

Hi

I am so sorry for posting here, but I am unable to post a new question for
some reason. Please, please, please can you help me? I need to create a
trendline on my graph, and it is not letting me do it. Please help me, so
much rests on this!

Thank you so much in advance.

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Looks like you've installed Office 2007's PIA (Primary Interop Assembly).
> In VS2005, when you add a COM reference, it will try to check first if
> there's any PIA registered for that COM component, if found, it will use
> that PIA from GAC.
>
> Please uninstall Office 2007's PIA and install Office 2003 PIA from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3c9a983a-...
> 8ba0-d36d67e0f4ad&displaylang=en
>

> For more information about PIA:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa3...
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply
> promptly.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

David Hearn

Correct, that's what I've done. When I try it on my dev machine (with
the app.config and Office 2007 and Excel 2003 present) it works in just
the same way it seems - so I'm not 100% sure if you need to worry about
not deploying it to Office 2007 machines.

In my source folder and project I have an app.config file, when I build
it, it creates a <executablename.exe>.config file in the bin\Release and
bin\Debug folders containing the same information. It's that file (not
the one called app.config) that I'm deploying.

Hope that helps,

David

Bill F wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I'm also not sure whether this is a recommended way of doing it - but
>> as I said, works for me.
>>
>> Hope that helps you.
>>
>> David
>>

>> Bill F wrote:
>>> I had the same issue. After some research and testing, I discovered
>>> that one cannot develop a .Net application for Excel on a development
>>> machine that has Office 2007 and have this application work on a
>>> computer that has Office 2003. However, your development machine can
>>> have Office 2003 and your application will work on machines with
>>> Office 2003 or Office 2007. Consequently, I had to go back to a
>>> development machine with Office 2003.
>>>
>>> CAUTION: as you will see in my post that follows this message, when
>>> I uninstalled Office 2007 from my development machine and installed
>>> office 2003, I had big problems getting the application .exe to

David Hearn

I had Office 2003 installed, and when I got Office 2007 I just did an
upgrade, so don't think I got to pick what got installed or not.

What I've gathered is that previously with Office 2003 and before the
PIAs weren't installed as default, causing issues with deployment of
apps which rely on them. In Office 2007 Microsoft have changed it so
that the PIAs get installed as default (which I guess happened here).

How should I uninstall the Office 2007 PIAs? Are they the the ".NET
Programmability Support" which is a per-application option which
describes itself as "Primary interop assembly that allows Microsoft
Office <product> programmability with .NET Framework version 1.1 or
greater".

Do I also need to remove the one called "Microsoft Forms 2.0 .NET
Programmability Support" which is a PIA for MS Forms 2.0?

Thanks

David

Walter Wang [MSFT] wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Looks like you've installed Office 2007's PIA (Primary Interop Assembly).
> In VS2005, when you add a COM reference, it will try to check first if
> there's any PIA registered for that COM component, if found, it will use
> that PIA from GAC.
>
> Please uninstall Office 2007's PIA and install Office 2003 PIA from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3c9a983a-...
> 8ba0-d36d67e0f4ad&displaylang=en
>

> For more information about PIA:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa3...
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply
> promptly.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/de....

Bill F

David:

This could be the answer to my woes.

I am curious...how is it that you have Office 2007 AND Excel 2003 installed
on the same computer? I didn't think that was possible. Are both versions
of Interop.Excel on your development computer, i.e. Version 11.0 and 12.0?

If I go back the system with Office 2007 installed (I saved an image before
uninstalling Office 2007), I wonder if I can install Interop.Excel version
11.0 using the Office 2003 PIA installation O2003PIA.msi I downloaded from
Micrsoft.

> [...]

>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
>>> <configuration>
>>> <runtime>
>>> <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
>>> <dependentAssembly>
>>> <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel"
>>> publicKeyToken="71e9bce111e9429c"
>>> culture="neutral" />
>>> <publisherPolicy apply="yes" />
>>> <bindingRedirect oldVersion="12.0.0.0"
>>> newVersion="11.0.0.0"/>
>>> </dependentAssembly>
>>> </assemblyBinding>
>>> </runtime>
>>> </configuration>
>>>
>>> It's working for me with that as the main app.config file. The actual
>>> app doesn't use the Excel part, but a DLL it references does, and it
>>> seems that it's only the main app which needs this, not the DLL.
>>>
>>> I'm also not sure whether this is a recommended way of doing it - but as

David Hearn

What I did was have Office 2003 installed and upgraded (ie ran Office
2007 installer). This removed Office 2003.

I then started developing my application (actually part of a larger
application), and realised when I came to the Excel part that most
people (including the other developers building bits for this app) would
be using Office 2003. At this point I installed Excel 2003 (as part
of an Office 2003 install where I only installed Excel) alongside my
Office 2007 install. No problems at all (except I've since noticed that
the .xls files are registered to Excel 2003 now - but that's a minor thing).

Yes, both versions of the Excel PIAs are present - however, Excel 2007
(and all Office 2007 apps) installs with the PIAs some redirect
assemblies which mean that when an application requests an Excel 11 PIA,
they're redirected to Excel 12.

When I added a COM reference, I selected Excel 11. However, I noticed
yesterday that actually the file this refers to in the Properties view
of this reference is the 12 version. Hence anything I build will
require Excel 12 installed.

Ideally the redirect I posted should be done in VS2005 (actually,
ideally it VS2005 should by default ignore the redirect) as if you have
explictitly requested Office 11 COM objects it shouldn't then use Office
12 ones. If it was done this way, then the application would be build
for Office 2003, but when run on an Office 2007 machine, would work fine
as the MS redirect assemblies would do their job.

The other solution that Walter Wang from MS suggested is to remove the
Office 2007 PIAs from my machine, and only have the 2003 ones installed.
At the moment, I have no need to specifically develop for Office 2007
apps, so this might be the best option, although I'm glad I found a work
around.

Hope that helps,

David