COM Inter-op Error Message

JerryWEC

5/1/2007 6:23:00 PM

I'm getting the following message when debugging between VB6 and my COM
Wrapper (.net)...

The callee (server [not server application]) is not available and
disappeared; all connections are invalid. The call may have executed.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010007 (RPC_E_SERVER_DIED))

This may not be much information to go on. However, if you have any ideas
to help me out that would be great!

JerryM

3 Answers

wawang

Hi Jerry,

Is your VB6 COM component running in-process or out-of-process? Does the
issue always reproduce using fixed steps?

Also, what's your .NET framework version?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but without these information, it's
really difficult to ping down the root cause. Yes I have searched the error
message, but this is really a general COM error.

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

JerryWEC

Walter and Gang,

I'm running .net 2.0 framework. As far as the in-process / out-of-process
question I don't know. I'm assuming it is out-of-process. I have a main
dll assembly and com wrapper class dll (both are class library projects)
(2.0).

After posting this message I was able to add an app.config file to each of
the above dlls. I started the VB6 client application stopping at a
break-point. Then I was able to attach the solution to my VB6 running
application and debug the application. In the mean time I that my exception
did not have a stacktrace object set (Nothing) in the exception I was
rethrowing to the com wrapper class.

ex: .net exception ex passed to my com wrapper as ex.message & ex.stacktrace
concatinated together.

I wrote some code to make sure I passed either the ex.message if the
stacktrace was empty (nothing) or if both were nothing to pass a general
text message.

I'm past this issue and on to the next...

Thanks! JerryM

wawang

Hi Jerry,

You can find more information about In-Process and Out-of-Process COM
servers here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms2...