application.manifest and application.config files

Mike Almond

2/3/2007 1:26:00 AM

We have an n-tier .NET v1.1 application that uses some old VB6 components
hosted in a COM+ server application. To allow these components to call out
to .NET objects when the Framework 2.0 is installed on the server, we have
had to create a DLLHost.exe.config with a <startup> section in it specifying
a supportedRuntime of 1.1. This works just fine.

However, for many of our larger customers, this approach is less than
desirable because of its global (as far as COM+) nature. So, we are
attempting to use the Application Root directory approach, with little
success. To simplify the troubleshooting, I have created a very simple
managed COM component (1.1) and a console application to call it.

As long as I stay with no config file, or a DLLHost.exe.config in
Windows\System32, everything is fine - I can change the contents of the
config file and they are picked up normally, etc.

I then created these two files and pointed the Application Root entry on the
applicaiton Activation tab to the directory holding them ---
Application.manifest:
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
</assembly>

Application.config:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322"/>
</startup>

<appSettings>
<add key="Ident" value="Config and Manifest files."/>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

Now, when I start the COM+ application, I get an error dialog within 1
second: "An error occurred while processing the last operation. Error code
80080005 - Server execution failed."

The event log contains three entries (in time sequence):

Source SideBySide / ID 58:
"Syntax error occurred in manifest or policy file
"E:\Projects\TestCOM\Config\Application.Config on line 0."

Source: SidebySide / ID 59:
"Generate Activation Context failed for
E:\Projects\TestCOM\Config\Application.Manifest. Reference error message:
The operation completed successfully."

Source: DCOM / ID 10010:
"The server [GUID] did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

Removing or renaming the two files makes the application start and operate
normally again.

This test environment is on an XP SP2 machine with up-to-date maintenance.
The eventual target server environment is Windows 2003 SP1.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this further?

--
Mike Almond
Technology Architect