chris.o.m.bray

2/1/2007 1:39:00 PM

Hello,

I'm using P/Invoke to make calls into the Win32 APIs, and am using
constants that I have seen used in examples. Some of these constants
appear to have one of two possible values, and the constant name
varies by adding either a "W" or "A" to the end. For example,
LVM_GETITEMA and LVM_GETITEMW. In the Win32 docs, I only see a single
constant, LVM_GETITEM. What's the purpose of these two variations?
How do I know which I should be using?

Thanks! ~ Chris

1 Answer

Keith Patrick

The W indicates that it is Unicode; A would be the ASCII version. Win32
only documents the agnostic version since the mode is set with a compilation
flag rather than forced in the code itself