Re: Best (Windows) Ruby editor

Neville Burnell

3/28/2005 9:43:00 AM

I'm using jedit [www.jedit.org]

Jedit has nice syntax highlighting support for ruby and erb [.rhtml], and its very mature [=stable]

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter C. Verhage [mailto:usenet2@nospam.no-nonsense.org]
Sent: Mon 28/03/2005 7:34 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Best (Windows) Ruby editor

Hi,

What is in your opinion the best (Windows) Ruby editor out there? I'm
searching for an editor with very good syntax highlighting (like Syntax
0.7.0 can do, but then real-time in the editor) and if possible an
editor which has auto-completion (at least for the standard library).
I've looked at several Scintilla based editors, but the syntax
highlighting is nowhere near complete and as far as I know none of them
support auto-completion. I've seen video's / screenshots of an editor
available on OSX which seems to have great syntax highlighting but as
far as I know it is not available on Windows. Any suggestions?

With kind regards,

Peter

23 Answers

Chris Morris

> I'm using jedit [www.jedit.org ]

Dunno if it's the best, but +1 for jEdit for me.

--
Chris
http:/...

Lasse Koskela

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:59:45 +0900, Chris Morris <the.chrismo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using jedit [www.jedit.org ]
>
> Dunno if it's the best, but +1 for jEdit for me.

I could be putting my head into a wasp nest, but... is anyone using
RDT (rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net) for serious Ruby work?

As a Java guy, I'm tempted to stick within my beloved workhorse and
not stray too far away from home. So far, I've only tried Scite and
FreeRIDE in addition to RDT and I have to say I'm not too pleased with
either. SciTE feels like coding with notepad, FreeRIDE crashed when I
typed in a 5-line hello world and tried to execute it.

What about Rails? Is there any specific IDE that fits best for Rails
development (e.g. specific support for the controller/model/view
classes)?

-Lasse-

gabriele renzi

Lasse Koskela ha scritto:

> As a Java guy, I'm tempted to stick within my beloved workhorse and
> not stray too far away from home. So far, I've only tried Scite and
> FreeRIDE in addition to RDT and I have to say I'm not too pleased with
> either. SciTE feels like coding with notepad, FreeRIDE crashed when I
> typed in a 5-line hello world and tried to execute it.

have you actually set up the nice scite features like simple
autocompletion, multiple tabs and the likes?
Also, how did you succede killing freeride?
It may not be the most stable ide on earth, but It never crashed for me
by just executing a script, so maybe there is something mesed up.

Dave Burt

"gabriele renzi" <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Lasse Koskela ha scritto:
>

>> ... FreeRIDE crashed when I
>> typed in a 5-line hello world and tried to execute it.
>
> ... Also, how did you succede killing freeride?
> It may not be the most stable ide on earth, but It never crashed for me by
> just executing a script, so maybe there is something mesed up.

I've gotten it to crash by things like running a script, and
dragging-and-dropping some text. (I'm on WinXP) It's not quite reliable
enough for me to use heaps. Also the Find function is insanely slow (I am
pretty sure I can visually scan my stuff and find stuff faster).

Is there a --verbose mode that dumps debug-useful info onto the CLI? Because
that could be handy on these random crash occasions.

Cheers,
Dave

Glenn Parker

Dave Burt wrote:

> I've gotten it to crash by things like running a script, and
> dragging-and-dropping some text. (I'm on WinXP) It's not quite reliable
> enough for me to use heaps. Also the Find function is insanely slow (I am
> pretty sure I can visually scan my stuff and find stuff faster).

FreeRIDE crashes for me on WinXP, and FWIW the tooltips implementation
is just awful. I've tried two different versions and it never takes
more than 20 minutes of fooling around for it to go boom. I'll stick
with xemacs.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

Lasse Koskela

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:24:46 +0900, gabriele renzi
<surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Lasse Koskela ha scritto:
> > As a Java guy, I'm tempted to stick within my beloved workhorse and
> > not stray too far away from home. So far, I've only tried Scite and
> > FreeRIDE in addition to RDT and I have to say I'm not too pleased with
> > either. SciTE feels like coding with notepad, FreeRIDE crashed when I
> > typed in a 5-line hello world and tried to execute it.
>
> have you actually set up the nice scite features like simple
> autocompletion, multiple tabs and the likes?
> Also, how did you succede killing freeride?
> It may not be the most stable ide on earth, but It never crashed for me
> by just executing a script, so maybe there is something mesed up.

No, I haven't set up anything. Autocompletion and multiple tabs would
already be an improvement over what I experienced of SciTE, but it
still lacks a lot of the comfort I'm feeling with RDT.

The way I got FreeRIDE to crash was as follows:
1) Create a new class, my_calculator.rb, with the following code:
class MyCalculator
def add(augend, addend)
augend + addend
2) Execute (with F5)

Now I know it shouldn't do anything (there's no "main" code to
execute), but that time it crashed.

Also, when you try the automated "rename method" refactoring, the IDE
window loses focus and nothing else happens. No error messages,
nothing.

Oh, and I'm running WinXP as well. Poor me.

-Lasse-

Curt Hibbs

Lasse Koskela wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:24:46 +0900, gabriele renzi
> <surrender_it@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
>
>>Lasse Koskela ha scritto:
>>
>>>As a Java guy, I'm tempted to stick within my beloved workhorse and
>>>not stray too far away from home. So far, I've only tried Scite and
>>>FreeRIDE in addition to RDT and I have to say I'm not too pleased with
>>>either. SciTE feels like coding with notepad, FreeRIDE crashed when I
>>>typed in a 5-line hello world and tried to execute it.
>>
>>have you actually set up the nice scite features like simple
>>autocompletion, multiple tabs and the likes?
>>Also, how did you succede killing freeride?
>>It may not be the most stable ide on earth, but It never crashed for me
>>by just executing a script, so maybe there is something mesed up.
>

> No, I haven't set up anything. Autocompletion and multiple tabs would
> already be an improvement over what I experienced of SciTE, but it
> still lacks a lot of the comfort I'm feeling with RDT.
>
> The way I got FreeRIDE to crash was as follows:
> 1) Create a new class, my_calculator.rb, with the following code:
> class MyCalculator
> def add(augend, addend)
> augend + addend
> 2) Execute (with F5)
>
> Now I know it shouldn't do anything (there's no "main" code to
> execute), but that time it crashed.

I just did the above in FreeRIDE and it did not crash.

> Also, when you try the automated "rename method" refactoring, the IDE
> window loses focus and nothing else happens. No error messages,
> nothing.

The refactoring stuff is clearly labelled as "experimental" -- it is not
production ready.

> Oh, and I'm running WinXP as well. Poor me.

Me, too.

Curt

Lothar Scholz

Hello Curt,

CH> The refactoring stuff is clearly labelled as "experimental" -- it is not
CH> production ready.

This raises the question if this project (RRB) is dead ?
I didn't see any progress in the last year.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Curt Hibbs

Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hello Curt,
>

> CH> The refactoring stuff is clearly labelled as "experimental" -- it is not
> CH> production ready.
>
> This raises the question if this project (RRB) is dead ?
> I didn't see any progress in the last year.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Its pretty useless in its
current state, and if it not being actively developed, then it should be
removed from FreeRIDE.

Curt

gabriele renzi

Glenn Parker ha scritto:
> Dave Burt wrote:
>

>> I've gotten it to crash by things like running a script, and
>> dragging-and-dropping some text. (I'm on WinXP) It's not quite
>> reliable enough for me to use heaps. Also the Find function is
>> insanely slow (I am pretty sure I can visually scan my stuff and find
>> stuff faster).
>

> FreeRIDE crashes for me on WinXP, and FWIW the tooltips implementation
> is just awful. I've tried two different versions and it never takes
> more than 20 minutes of fooling around for it to go boom. I'll stick
> with xemacs.

I can say I agree with the tooltip thing.
OTOH,"it crashes for me" is not very useful from a developer standpoint.
I mean, this bug report[1] may reflect Dave's problem, but trying to fix
it would be hard since the developers do not have informations on how to
reproduce it.
What I'm trying to say is: if you're happy with whatever you're using it
is ok, but if you'd like to use FR but you don't because it crashes for
you, please try to help it becoming stable by providing a good problem
report so that people can at least try to fix it.

[1]http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1606&group_id=31&am...