Best (Windows) Ruby editor

Peter C. Verhage

What is in your opinion the best (Windows) Ruby editor out there? I'm
searching for an editor with very good syntax highlighting (like Syntax
0.7.0 can do, but then real-time in the editor) and if possible an
editor which has auto-completion (at least for the standard library).
I've looked at several Scintilla based editors, but the syntax
highlighting is nowhere near complete and as far as I know none of them
support auto-completion. I've seen video's / screenshots of an editor
available on OSX which seems to have great syntax highlighting but as
far as I know it is not available on Windows. Any suggestions?

With kind regards,

Peter
38 Answers

lucsky

Peter C. Verhage <usenet2@nospam.no-nonsense.org> wrote:

> I've seen video's / screenshots of an editor
> available on OSX which seems to have great syntax highlighting but as
> far as I know it is not available on Windows. Any suggestions?

Switch to OS X... :>

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com

Peter C. Verhage

Luc Heinrich wrote:
> Switch to OS X... :>

Doesn't run (without an emulator) on my PC. ;) But yeah, my next
computer will probably be a Mac. But before I can buy such a beast, I
first need to earn some money by building a great Ruby application, for
which I need a good editor, which I can use on my current computer. :)

Regards,

Peter

Lothar Scholz

Hello Peter,

PCV> Hi,

PCV> What is in your opinion the best (Windows) Ruby editor out there? I'm
PCV> searching for an editor with very good syntax highlighting (like Syntax
PCV> 0.7.0 can do, but then real-time in the editor) and if possible an
PCV> editor which has auto-completion (at least for the standard library).
PCV> I've looked at several Scintilla based editors, but the syntax
PCV> highlighting is nowhere near complete and as far as I know none of them
PCV> support auto-completion. I've seen video's / screenshots of an editor
PCV> available on OSX which seems to have great syntax highlighting but as
PCV> far as I know it is not available on Windows. Any suggestions?

Look at my signature.
The syntax highlighting is even better then TextMates.
And you get a build in debugger :-)

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Jay Levitt

In article <164389312.20050328150458@scriptolutions.com>,
> Look at my signature.
> The syntax highlighting is even better then TextMates.
> And you get a build in debugger :-)

I just checked out the web page, and it's looking interesting... how far
along is it? There doesn't seem to be anything detailing what's
complete, what's left to do, etc., and the support forum (where I'd
expect to see a bunch of active beta testers discussing what the worst
showstoppers are) is just a 404 link...

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only

Ville Mattila

> I just checked out the web page, and it's looking interesting... how far
> along is it? There doesn't seem to be anything detailing what's
> complete, what's left to do, etc., and the support forum (where I'd
> expect to see a bunch of active beta testers discussing what the worst
> showstoppers are) is just a 404 link...

Arachno ruby is fully working. It has bit steep learning curve, but
when you get used to the ide, the working with ruby code is really
productive. Arachno is really powerfull ruby ide. The best.

- Ville

B. K. Oxley (binkley)

Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Look at my signature.
> The syntax highlighting is even better then TextMates.
> And you get a build in debugger :-)

Does Arachno support refactoring? Which refactorings?

Cheers,
--binkley

John-Mason P. Shackelford

I like RDT for Eclipse (http://rubyeclipse.source...),
particularly since w/ Eclipse I can use the same environment no matter
what language I happen to be using. I like being able to add other
plug-ins too. For example, I use plug-ins to connect to source control.
RDT has an active developer community so improvements and new features
are being added all of the time.

Presently RDT features syntax highlighting, an outline view, a debugger,
a unit testing plugin, and regexp tester. The version presently in
development offers a wealth of new features.

Best of all, RDT is open source software so when if I am unhappy with
the way something works or imagine a feature which would save me time, I
can make the change and submit it back to the project.

I have used Arachno, RDE, Scite, etc. but finally landed on RDT.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@pearson.com
http://pearsonedmeasu...

Lasse Koskela

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:38:07 +0900, John-Mason P. Shackelford
<john-mason@shackelford.org> wrote:
> Presently RDT features syntax highlighting, an outline view, a debugger,
> a unit testing plugin, and regexp tester. The version presently in
> development offers a wealth of new features.

Any chance #6 (refactoring) on the following wiki page would be one of
those new features?
http://tinyurl...

-Lasse-

John-Mason P. Shackelford

Lasse,

> Any chance #6 (refactoring) on the following wiki page would be one of
> those new features?
> http://tinyurl...

I don't believe so, but the new version uses the parser from JRuby and
has a more robust model which will enable development of refactoring in
the future.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@pearson.com
http://pearsonedmeasu...

Randy Kramer

On Monday 28 March 2005 10:38 am, John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:
> I have used Arachno, RDE, Scite, etc. but finally landed on RDT.

I also need / want to pick an IDE for Ruby, and would welcome comments by
anyone using kdevelop, especially in comparison to any other IDEs. I am sort
of considering (without having done any research so far) either kdevelop or a
more Ruby specific IDE (like FreeRIDE?). (I may eventually learn C and write
a few C programs ("extensions" to Ruby).)

Randy Kramer