Slightly OT: rate range for contract Ruby development

Its Me

3/27/2005 11:22:00 PM

What is a reasonable range of rates for an experienced Ruby developer for
contract Ruby development work?

Thanks

9 Answers

Phlip

itsme213 wrote:

> What is a reasonable range of rates for an experienced Ruby developer for
> contract Ruby development work?

While the region, industry, and experience level are the primary factors in
rates, customers requesting Ruby (instead of, say, Perl), would tend to be
in the higher ranges.

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

james_b

Phlip wrote:
> itsme213 wrote:
>

>>What is a reasonable range of rates for an experienced Ruby developer for
>>contract Ruby development work?
>

> While the region, industry, and experience level are the primary factors in
> rates, customers requesting Ruby (instead of, say, Perl), would tend to be
> in the higher ranges.

How do you figure that?

James

--

http://www.ru...
http://www.r...

Phlip

James Britt wrote:

> Phlip wrote:

> > While the region, industry, and experience level are the primary factors
in
> > rates, customers requesting Ruby (instead of, say, Perl), would tend to
be
> > in the higher ranges.
>
> How do you figure that?

Exposure to too many legacy Perl systems that should never have been.

The great thing about the Ruby Python du-opoly is you can use it as an
intelligence detector...

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

Hal E. Fulton

James Britt wrote:
> Phlip wrote:
>
>> itsme213 wrote:
>>

>>> What is a reasonable range of rates for an experienced Ruby developer
>>> for
>>> contract Ruby development work?
>>

>> While the region, industry, and experience level are the primary
>> factors in
>> rates, customers requesting Ruby (instead of, say, Perl), would tend
>> to be
>> in the higher ranges.
>

> How do you figure that?

I'd assume he's arguing from scarcity -- i.e., supply and demand.

Hal

james_b

Hal Fulton wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>>

>> How do you figure that?
>>

> I'd assume he's arguing from scarcity -- i.e., supply and demand.

On the other hand, there is a little-to-no demand for Ruby developer in
(some? many?) places, so someone looking for Ruby work may be willing to
work cheap.

The prospective employer is offering a mix of some cash and
!(java|perl|php|vb) coding, which is an attractive mix.

James

samuel_x_winters_x

Do you have a rough range, say X-Y $/hr? I may have an opportunity (!)
to price my Ruby skills soon.

Sam.

khaines

itsme213 wrote:

> What is a reasonable range of rates for an experienced Ruby developer for
> contract Ruby development work?

Not really any different from any other sort of development work, in my
experience (and Ruby contract work has kept my family fed and clothed and
housed for 3 years, now).

It depends greatly on what the work is, who the client is (i.e. you might
charge less for work for you church than you would for work for a fortune
500 company), the length of contract and extenuating circumstances such as
"We want this 200 hour project done in 2 weeks" and the like, as well as
where you are at. Milwaukee, WI, is going to be different from Cheyenne,
WY, is going to be different from Moreila, Mexico is going to be different
from Montevideo, Uruguay. Mix all of that up, shake it a bit, and dump it
out on the table, and what you get is a broad range.

In the US, I'd say that anything under $20 has to have some special
circumstances that make one go that low. $35-$75 would be a more typical
range, and rates up to $150 would not surprise me, for special
circumstances.

Kirk Haines

Jeffrey Moss

A famous philosopher once said to "know thyself."

If you posted your resume here, I'm sure someone could rate you pretty
accurately. You're probably better off figuring it out on your own though.

-Jeff