[ANN] RubyGems 0.8.10

Jim Weirich

3/27/2005 11:04:00 PM

= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.10

Version 0.8.10 is bug fix release. We address two bugs in this
release, one obscure and the other only slightly annoying.

In multi-user environments, it is common to supply mulitple versions
of gems (for example Rails), allowing individual users to select the
version of the gem they desire. This allows a user to be insulated
from updates to that gem. RubyGems 0.8.10 fixes a problem where gems
could occasionally become confused about the current versions of
libraries selected by the user.

The other annoying bug is that if there are any existing
rubygems-update gems installed, then the "gem update --system" command
will download a new udpate, but install the latest update prior to the
download.

== What is RubyGems?

RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby software
fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes care
of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but also
any gems needed by the software you selected.

== RubyGems Statistics

* About 230 different gems available (I say _about_ because I don't
think "Bangkok" and "bangkok" are really different gems).
* Over 30,000 downloads of the RubyGems software
* 230,075 gem loads

If you are interested in finding out when new gems are released, I
maintain an RSS feed at http://onestepback.org/ge....

== How can I get RubyGems?

If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)

== Thanks

Thanks to Tobias Luetke for reporting the problem and assisting in
tracking it down.

Keep those gems coming!

-- Jim & Chad (for the RubyGems team)

6 Answers

james_b

Jim Weirich wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.10
>
> Version 0.8.10 is bug fix release. We address two bugs in this
> release, one obscure and the other only slightly annoying.

A request: Please add some links to http://www.rub...

"There was a whisper in the dark. The miners had begun
the construction of a Gem track using those fancy new Rails.
It was all awfully exciting..."

Exciting, I'm sure, but not very informative.

It seems like a reasonable starting place for people looking for
RubyGems docs, FAQ, etc., but it remains a dark, cryptic page.

I couldn't remember the exact URL for the gems manual, and on each
failed guess I ended up on that page, which currently isn't very helpful.

Thanks,

James

paul__mcardle

paul__mcardle

James
http://docs.rub...
works.

Its Me

After I updated to this version:

[C:\]gem install rails
"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 2, col 92:
`@gems{???"?rwdtinker-1.60o:?Gem::Specification :?
@email"?steven@superant.com:?@requirements['

Any idea what's going on? Can I roll back to the rubygems version I had
before?

Thanks.

On Monday 28 March 2005 08:34 pm, itsme213 wrote:
> After I updated to this version:
>
> [C:\]gem install rails
> "c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails
> Attempting local installation of 'rails'
> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> parse error on line 2, col 92:
> `@gems{???"?rwdtinker-1.60o:?Gem::Specification :?
> @email"?steven@superant.com:?@requirements['
>

> Any idea what's going on? Can I roll back to the rubygems version I had
> before?

Its sounds like your source cache is either corrupted or not in the format
expected. Around version 0.8.5 or so we switched from a YAML based cache to
a marshalled cache (with a significant increase in speed). If you run a
0.8.5 or later version of gems and then later try to go back to a pre-0.8.5
version, the earlier version is confused by the data in the cache (post 0.8.5
versions are smart enough to just toss the cache if it looks bad.

To fix, just delete the source cache file (the file named 'source_cache' in
the directory reported by the 'gem env gempath' command). If you are on a
unix-like OS and the source_cache is in a protected directory, you might have
another copy of the source cache available in a user owned directory
(probably $HOME/.gem/source_cache). Delete that copy as well.

Does this help?

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Its Me

"Jim Weirich" <jim@weirichhouse.org> wrote in message

> To fix, just delete the source cache file (the file named 'source_cache'
in
> the directory reported by the 'gem env gempath' command).

Yes, it's working again now. Thanks a lot!