No localized strings in Date.strftime

surf

3/26/2005 12:13:00 PM

Hello,

is it a bug or a feature that Date strings are not localized when using
ruby-locale?

Example:

>> a = Time.new
=> Wed Mar 23 23:00:08 CET 2005

>> require 'date'
=> true
>> b = Date.today
=> #<Date: 4906905/2,0,2299161>

>> require "locale"
=> true
>> Locale.set(Locale::ALL, 'de_DE')
=> "de_DE"

>> a.strftime('%B %y')
=> "März 05"

>> b.strftime('%B %y')
=> "March 05"

thanks,
Florian
5 Answers

cary

In article <12122b68-b48d-446f-9a76-ade45d895a61@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com> sleepykit <sleepykit@gmail.com> writes:
> On Feb 11, 4:26 pm, "Mark K. Bilbo" <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:50:34 -0800 in
> > f34f8c6f-ec21-4292-84de-6d2c40bc8...@c23g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
> >

> > Codebreaker <Codebrea...@bigsecret.com> wrote:

> > > Liar. Barack HUSSEIN Obama is a Muslim name
> >
> > So the fucking fuck what?
> >
> > My name's French. And I've never once eaten a snail...
> >
> > --
> > Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
> > EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion
> > "I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
> > I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
> > And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant."
> >
> > - H. L. Mencken
>
> You must eat a snail at least once in your life, if not for the
> "French-ness" of the whole thing as because they are actually quite
> good and not at all snail-like.

Not "chicken". PLEASE don't say "chicken".

(if we didn't have chicken, no one would be able to talk about
food).

-- cary

Robibnikoff

"sleepykit" <sleepykit@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 11, 4:26 pm, "Mark K. Bilbo" <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:50:34 -0800 in
>> f34f8c6f-ec21-4292-84de-6d2c40bc8...@c23g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
>>

>> Codebreaker <Codebrea...@bigsecret.com> wrote:

>> > Liar. Barack HUSSEIN Obama is a Muslim name
>>
>> So the fucking fuck what?
>>
>> My name's French. And I've never once eaten a snail...
>>
>> --
>> Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
>> EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion
>> "I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
>> I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
>> And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant."
>>
>> - H. L. Mencken
>
> You must eat a snail at least once in your life, if not for the
> "French-ness" of the whole thing as because they are actually quite
> good and not at all snail-like.

Think "little black erasers in garlic butter" :)
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

> On Feb 12, 11:09 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
>> "sleepykit" <sleepy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > You must eat a snail at least once in your life, if not for the
>> > "French-ness" of the whole thing as because they are actually quite
>> > good and not at all snail-like.
>>
>> Think "little black erasers in garlic butter" :)
>
> Maybe a little tastier than an eraser, perhaps? I chew on erasers when
> nervous, and these tasted significantly better...

Well, they really have the texture, not the taste. I used to love those
little suckers - drenched in garlic butter and sitting in a little mushroom
cap (or better yet, a pastry puff). Delicious! :)
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Robibnikoff

"SkyEyes" <skyeyes9@cox.net> wrote in message
On Feb 12, 11:23 am, sleepykit <sleepy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 11:09 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> > "sleepykit" <sleepy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > You must eat a snail at least once in your life, if not for the
> > > "French-ness" of the whole thing as because they are actually quite
> > > good and not at all snail-like.
>
> > Think "little black erasers in garlic butter" :)
>
> Maybe a little tastier than an eraser, perhaps? I chew on erasers when
> nervous, and these tasted significantly better...

>If you want to eat something with the properties of an eraser, try
>octopus. It's tasty, quite mild and sweet, but if they didn't pound
>the 'pus on the rocks long enough (in Greece they say you need to beat
>the thing on the rocks 40 times) to get its muscles to relax, you can
>chew on the meat until your jaw becomes unhinged, and your teeth never
>make a mark.

>Still, I'll take barbequed octopus anytime I can get it. With olive
>oil, lemon, and oregano. Yum! Ti orea enai!

Yummy stuff! The first time I had octopus was when my parents took us to
Greece when I was about 11 (which also started my live-long passion for
baklava). I thought it was great, though a bit chewy. The last time I had
it was when I briefly dated this Greek guy who took me to a great Greek
restaurant in Astoria Queens, NY :)
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

aezael

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:01:23 -0500, "Robibnikoff"
<witchypoo@broomstick.com> wrote:

>"Mark K. Bilbo" <gmail@com.mkbilbo> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:50:34 -0800 in
>> f34f8c6f-ec21-4292-84de-6d2c40bc87e5@c23g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
>> Codebreaker <Codebreaker@bigsecret.com> wrote:

>>> Liar. Barack HUSSEIN Obama is a Muslim name
>>
>> So the fucking fuck what?
>>
>> My name's French. And I've never once eaten a snail...
>
>My name's Scottish and I have! ;)
>
>And I've never had haggis and I never will :P

What makes you think that this is true, and how can you prove the
statement.