[QUIZ] English Numerals (#25

James Gray

3/25/2005 8:19:00 PM

The three rules of Ruby Quiz:

http://www.rub...

3. Enjoy!

by Timothy Byrd

While we normally write numbers using Arabic (or since Quiz #22, Roman)
numerals, numbers can also be written out as English phrases.

For example:

7 == seven (the hard way)
42 == forty-two (a very important number)
2001 == two thousand and one (a space odyssey)
1999 == (party like it's) nineteen hundred and ninety-nine

So the quiz is a problem from a Pi Mu Epsilon (US national math club)
newsletter:

"When the integers 1 to 10_000_000_000 are written in the English language, then
sorted as strings, which odd number appears first in the list?"

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to:

- Create Ruby code to translate a number to it's English language form. (My
sample version works with integers up to 10**72-1.)

- Determine programmatically which odd number in 1..10_000_000_000 would sort
first if written in English. (Brute force is the obvious solution, but the
computer may have to think about it...)

- Would the answer change for a larger range of values, say 10**30?

- Do French and German Rubyists get a different answer than the Americans?

Extra credit:

-Add a Pinyin translator: http://www.mandarintools.com/nu...

18 Answers

Patrick Hurley

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:18:43 +0900, Ruby Quiz <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> The three rules of Ruby Quiz:
>
> 1. Please do not post any solutions or spoiler discussion for this quiz until
>
> 2. Support Ruby Quiz by submitting ideas as often as you can:
>
> http://www.rub...
>
> 3. Enjoy!
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> by Timothy Byrd
>
> While we normally write numbers using Arabic (or since Quiz #22, Roman)
> numerals, numbers can also be written out as English phrases.
>
> For example:
>
> 7 == seven (the hard way)
> 42 == forty-two (a very important number)
> 2001 == two thousand and one (a space odyssey)
> 1999 == (party like it's) nineteen hundred and ninety-nine
>
> So the quiz is a problem from a Pi Mu Epsilon (US national math club)
> newsletter:
>
> "When the integers 1 to 10_000_000_000 are written in the English language, then
> sorted as strings, which odd number appears first in the list?"
>
> Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to:
>
> - Create Ruby code to translate a number to it's English language form. (My
> sample version works with integers up to 10**72-1.)
>
> - Determine programmatically which odd number in 1..10_000_000_000 would sort
> first if written in English. (Brute force is the obvious solution, but the
> computer may have to think about it...)
>
> - Would the answer change for a larger range of values, say 10**30?
>
> - Do French and German Rubyists get a different answer than the Americans?
>
> Extra credit:
>
> -Add a Pinyin translator: http://www.mandarintools.com/nu...

Ok sounds interesting, is the rule, less than 2000

1000 -> ten hundred
1800 -> eighteen hundred
2000 -> two thousand

Also what are the rules for the "and"?

1050050 -> one million fifty thousand and fifty
or
1050050 -> one million and fifty thousand and fifty

Also we hyphenate when 20 < x > 100 (and not a multple of 10)?

Hans Fugal

Patrick Hurley wrote:

> Also what are the rules for the "and"?
>
> 1050050 -> one million fifty thousand and fifty
> or
> 1050050 -> one million and fifty thousand and fifty
>
> Also we hyphenate when 20 < x > 100 (and not a multple of 10)?

I was always taught there is no and (except at the decimal place), e.g.
one million fifty thousand fifty and five tenths. I don't remember who
taught this but I remember learning it disctinctly.

That hyphenation thing gives me a headache. What's wrong with
one hundred twenty five?

Timothy Byrd

> Ok sounds interesting, is the rule, less than 2000

Close. It's at least 1100 and less than 2000, so:

1000 -> one thousand
1100 -> eleven hundred
1900 -> nineteen hundred
2000 -> two thousand

> Also what are the rules for the "and"?

I was assuming the "and" only goes in the final three digits and only
if not a multiple of 100, so your:

> 1050050 -> one million fifty thousand and fifty

is what I'd pick.

> Also we hyphenate when 20 < x > 100 (and not a multple of 10)?

Yes, between 20 and 100 (non-inclusive). This applies to each group of
three digits, so:

57057057 -> fifty-seven million fifty-seven thousand and fifty-seven

Hope that clears things up.

BTW, here's a fun-fact on the original post:

7 == seven (the hard way)

In the dice game craps, a "hardway" bet is that a number
will come up as a pair rather than some other combination.
For example a six would have to be a pair of 3's rather than
5 & 1 or 4 & 2. Sevewn the hard way would require rolling a
pair of 3.5's, which is generally considered quite difficult.
(See http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/... )

-- Timothy

Hal E. Fulton

Hans Fugal wrote:
> Patrick Hurley wrote:
>
>> Also what are the rules for the "and"?
>>
>> 1050050 -> one million fifty thousand and fifty
>> or
>> 1050050 -> one million and fifty thousand and fifty
>>
>> Also we hyphenate when 20 < x > 100 (and not a multple of 10)?
>

> I was always taught there is no and (except at the decimal place), e.g.
> one million fifty thousand fifty and five tenths. I don't remember who
> taught this but I remember learning it disctinctly.

I was taught this, too. They stressed it, in fact, as though it
were something that actually mattered.

> That hyphenation thing gives me a headache. What's wrong with
> one hundred twenty five?

I have never seen "twenty five" in English -- AFAIK it's always
hyphenated.

Hal

Van Dyk, Joe

Ruby Quiz wrote:
> The three rules of Ruby Quiz:
>
> 1. Please do not post any solutions or spoiler
> discussion for this quiz until 48 hours have passed from
> the time on this message.
>
> 2. Support Ruby Quiz by submitting ideas as often as you
> can:
>
> http://www.rub...
>
> 3. Enjoy!
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-=-=

> by Timothy Byrd
>
> While we normally write numbers using Arabic (or since
> Quiz #22, Roman) numerals, numbers can also be written
> out as English phrases.
>
> For example:
>
> 7 == seven (the hard way)
> 42 == forty-two (a very important number)
> 2001 == two thousand and one (a space odyssey)
> 1999 == (party like it's) nineteen hundred and ninety-nine

Why is one "two thousand and one" and one "nineteen hundred and
ninety-nine"?

> So the quiz is a problem from a Pi Mu Epsilon (US
> national math club) newsletter:
>
> "When the integers 1 to 10_000_000_000 are written in the
> English language, then sorted as strings, which odd
> number appears first in the list?"
>
> Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to:
>
> - Create Ruby code to translate a number to it's English
> language form. (My sample version works with integers up
> to 10**72-1.)
>
> - Determine programmatically which odd number in
> 1..10_000_000_000 would sort first if written in English.
> (Brute force is the obvious solution, but the computer
> may have to think about it...)
>
> - Would the answer change for a larger range of values,
> say 10**30?
>
> - Do French and German Rubyists get a different answer
> than the Americans?
>
> Extra credit:
>
> -Add a Pinyin translator:
> http://www.mandarintools.com/nu...

Timothy Byrd

> I was always taught there is no and (except at the decimal
> place), e.g. one million fifty thousand fifty and five tenths.
> I don't remember who taught this but I remember learning it
> disctinctly.

Well, numbers aren't really exact things, after all. :)

I wanted to put a little twist into the quiz, and "two thousand and
one" simply sounds right. (Though I had to break 1776 to get it.)

Here's a page with more info:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/N/Na/Names_of_numbers_in_E...

-- Timothy

Hal E. Fulton

Timothy Byrd wrote:
>>I was always taught there is no and (except at the decimal
>>place), e.g. one million fifty thousand fifty and five tenths.
>>I don't remember who taught this but I remember learning it
>>disctinctly.
>

> Well, numbers aren't really exact things, after all. :)
>
> I wanted to put a little twist into the quiz, and "two thousand and
> one" simply sounds right. (Though I had to break 1776 to get it.)
>
> Here's a page with more info:
>
> http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/N/Na/Names_of_numbers_in_E...

The "and" is not my only problem with that page.

For example, they think "one hundred" is singular? Please.

By the way, I hear that one hundred are expected at the
next Ruby Conf... ;)

Hal

Timothy Byrd

> For example, they think "one hundred" is singular? Please.
>
> By the way, I hear that one hundred are expected at the
> next Ruby Conf... ;)

Well, "one hundred" is a good number. ;)

(Going even more off topic.) That just reminded me of something. In
the US, the media refer to corporations in the singular - "Microsoft is
a ...". But I seem to recall reading British articles that use
"Microsoft are going to ..."

-- Timothy

Hal E. Fulton

Timothy Byrd wrote:
>>For example, they think "one hundred" is singular? Please.
>>
>>By the way, I hear that one hundred are expected at the
>>next Ruby Conf... ;)
>

> Well, "one hundred" is a good number. ;)
>
> (Going even more off topic.) That just reminded me of something. In
> the US, the media refer to corporations in the singular - "Microsoft is
> a ...". But I seem to recall reading British articles that use
> "Microsoft are going to ..."

Yes. Don't get me started.

Those are called "collective nouns." They appear singular but
act as a plural and should be treated plurally. Thus "Microsoft
are" is correct, and "Microsoft is" is a failure of the US
education system.

I can see the rationale that a corporation is a single entity.
But when it's time for a pronoun, even Americans go for the
plural -- even in the same sentence:

"Microsoft are angry, and they plan to sue." (UK/correct)
"Microsoft is angry, and it plans to sue." (at least consistent)
"Microsoft is angry, and they plan to sue." (American)

Hal

Patrick Hurley

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:54:49 +0900, Timothy Byrd <timothy@etap.com> wrote:
> > I was always taught there is no and (except at the decimal
> > place), e.g. one million fifty thousand fifty and five tenths.
> > I don't remember who taught this but I remember learning it
> > disctinctly.
>
> Well, numbers aren't really exact things, after all. :)
>
> I wanted to put a little twist into the quiz, and "two thousand and
> one" simply sounds right. (Though I had to break 1776 to get it.)
>
> Here's a page with more info:
>
> http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/N/Na/Names_of_numbers_in_E...
>
> -- Timothy

Ok almost done asking for information before I hide from my kids and
do the quiz :-)

One last quesiton should'nt we have comma's between number clauses?

i.e.

1_111_111_111

one billion, one hundred eleven million, one hundred eleven thousand
and one hundred eleven

Patrick