jeem.hughes

3/25/2005 6:37:00 PM

Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity. I'll
tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:

1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
a.) Yes! Lots!
b.) Some.
c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
d.) I wish!

2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
Ruby?

I'll go first.

1. c.)

2. C# and Java

70 Answers

Matthew Margolis

jeem wrote:

>Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity. I'll
>tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:
>
>1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!
> b.) Some.
> c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> d.) I wish!
>
>2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
>Ruby?
>

>I'll go first.
>
>1. c.)
>
>2. C# and Java

1. 'a' (rails based web applications mostly)
2. PHP and Java

-Matthew Margolis

Charles Mills

jeem wrote:
> Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity.
I'll
> tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:
>
> 1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!
> b.) Some.
> c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> d.) I wish!
>
> 2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other
than
> Ruby?

1. b)
2. C, SAS, VB.

-Charlie

Patrick Hurley

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:43:23 +0900, Matthew Margolis
<mrmargolis@wisc.edu> wrote:
> jeem wrote:
>
> >Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity. I'll
> >tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:
> >
> >1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> > a.) Yes! Lots!
> > b.) Some.
> > c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> > d.) I wish!
> >
> >2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
> >Ruby?

1. 'b heading toward a'
2. C++/Perl

Glenn Smith

1. started with 'c', moved to 'b' but hoping to move to 'a' :o) I'm
planning to make ruby and rails my 1st choice of development tool!

2. Visual Basic (6) and PL/SQL

--

All the best
Glenn

Joao Pedrosa

1. "a"

2. Leaving Delphi. :-)

Dane Jensen

On Mar 25, 2005, at 10:39 AM, jeem wrote:

> Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity. I'll
> tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:
>
> 1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!
> b.) Some.
> c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> d.) I wish!

'd' with an eye towards moving to 'c' or hopefully 'a'.

> 2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
> Ruby?

Python (for Zope).

pat eyler

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:39:49 +0900, jeem <jeem.hughes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity. I'll
> tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:
>
> 1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!
> b.) Some.
> c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> d.) I wish!

b (wishing I could do a)

> 2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
> Ruby?

2. perl and sh (learning a bit of C and C++)

--
thanks,
-pate

Jacob Fugal

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:39:49 +0900, jeem <jeem.hughes@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!
> b.) Some.
> c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> d.) I wish!

c and d. I use it for scripting (automating maintenance, etc.) and
would love to somehow squeeze it into the code actually produced.

> 2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
> Ruby?

At work: Perl, perl and more perl. Although I get to play with C code
right now, it's as a means to get perl bindings.

Everywhere else: C/C++ (but rarely nowadays, since I use ruby whenever
possible).

Jacob Fugal

Kirk Haines

jeem wrote:

> 1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!

Yes, substantially and almost exclusively.

> 2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
> Ruby?

C, Perl

Kirk Haines

Guillaume Marcais

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 03:39 +0900, jeem wrote:
> Hello group. Please take a minute to satisfy my idle curiousity. I'll
> tabulate and post the results in a few days. Two questions:
>
> 1. Do you use Ruby in your "day job"?
> a.) Yes! Lots!
> b.) Some.
> c.) I little bit when I can get away with it.
> d.) I wish!
>
> 2. What are your one or two principal programming languages other than
> Ruby?

1. a.)
2. C