Syck 0.51 and RubyGems 0.8.8 problem

Dmitry V. Sabanin

3/25/2005 11:26:00 AM

I've updated Syck to 0.51 after getting segfaults with old YAML parser
with Rails. It worked fine and I like it. But after this, I can't use
rubygems anymore. This is what I get when I'm trying to install it:

Successfully built RubyGem
Name: sources
Version: 0.0.1
File: sources-0.0.1.gem
hook /home/software/ruby/rubygems/post-install.rb failed:
undefined method `full_name' for nil:NilClass
Try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for detailed usage.

After spending two hours in RubyGems internals I wrote following code
that shows my problem:
spec.class == Gem::Specification
# Trying to dump Gem::Specification instance to YAML
src = YAML::dump(spec)
res = YAML::load(src)
res.class == Object
# This is why everything goes insane:
spec.class != res.class

It seems to me that Syck 0.51 couldn't properly instantiate class from
the dump, and Gems had no idea that this could happen.

Any ideas how to fix that? This problem is really made me stuck.

--
sdmitry -=- Dmitry V. Sabanin
http://m...

3 Answers

why the lucky stiff

Dmitry V. Sabanin wrote:

>It seems to me that Syck 0.51 couldn't properly instantiate class from
>the dump, and Gems had no idea that this could happen.

The Syck 0.51 loader is unfinished. It is only barely usable. The core
is much stabler, but due to API changes, the Ruby extension has required
a partial rewrite. I'm very close to another release. I'll let you
know when I have a release candidate in CVS.

_why

Yoorghis

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 04:43:03 -0800, rL@somis.org (? R. L. Measures.)
wrote:

>In article
><5d7150a4-d3bf-4d24-9137-de736b6eb9b2@do4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>, Paul
>Duca <paul.duca2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mar 6, 2:50=A0pm, Tracey12 <tracey12em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Have you seen Sandra Fluke on TV?
>>>
>>> Why does SHE need contraceptives?
>>>
>>> What man would bother???
>>>
>>> Even Bill Clinton's taste in women is better.
>>>
>>> Just my opinion...of course, she's TWICE the age I prefer.
>
>? Hmmmm. . . 30yrs/2 = 15 yrs old = serious jail time.

Probably thinks he can skate if it's a boy.

rL

In article <5suel7h6fch701tq4847qck2s0c7k2lq61@4ax.com>,
Yoorghis@Jurgis.net wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 04:43:03 -0800, rL@somis.org (? R. L. Measures.)
>wrote:
>
>>In article
>><5d7150a4-d3bf-4d24-9137-de736b6eb9b2@do4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>, Paul
>>Duca <paul.duca2@gmail.com> wrote:

>>? Hmmmm. . . 30yrs/2 = 15 yrs old = serious jail time.
>
>Probably thinks he can skate if it's a boy.

? Chortle. Here in CA it's equal jail time either way.

--
Richard L. Measures. AG6K, 805-386-3734, www.somis.org