RubyGems 0.8.8 not working on Suse 9.2 x64

Glenn Smith

3/24/2005 9:45:00 PM

I've installed SUSE 9.2 on my home pc, the 64-bit version.

I've downloaded, compiled and installed ruby (stable 1.8.2). Seems OK.
Install gems 0.8.8, but this happens when I try to use it:

gsmith@linux:~> gem update --backtrace
Upgrading installed gems...
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date/format.rb:433: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [x86_64-linux]

Aborted

Any ideas? If you need me to provide extra info, let me know.

Ta muchly

--

All the best
Glenn

5 Answers

Chad Fowler

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:44:50 +0900, Glenn Smith <glenn.ruby@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed SUSE 9.2 on my home pc, the 64-bit version.
>
> I've downloaded, compiled and installed ruby (stable 1.8.2). Seems OK.
> Install gems 0.8.8, but this happens when I try to use it:
>
> gsmith@linux:~> gem update --backtrace
> Upgrading installed gems...
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date/format.rb:433: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [x86_64-linux]

It looks like there is a bug in Date.parse, but I'm not able to
reproduce it. Glenn, would this reproduce the segfault?

require 'date'
Date.parse '2004-10-18'

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Glenn Smith

Chad

No, running that through Ruby works fine for me.

Glenn

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:28:50 +0900, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:44:50 +0900, Glenn Smith <glenn.ruby@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've installed SUSE 9.2 on my home pc, the 64-bit version.
> >
> > I've downloaded, compiled and installed ruby (stable 1.8.2). Seems OK.
> > Install gems 0.8.8, but this happens when I try to use it:
> >
> > gsmith@linux:~> gem update --backtrace
> > Upgrading installed gems...
> > /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date/format.rb:433: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> > ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [x86_64-linux]
> >

> It looks like there is a bug in Date.parse, but I'm not able to
> reproduce it. Glenn, would this reproduce the segfault?
>
> require 'date'
> Date.parse '2004-10-18'
>
> --
>
> Chad Fowler
> http://chad...
> http://rubyc...
> http://ruby...
> http://rubygems.rub... (over 100,000 gems served!)

--

All the best
Glenn
Aylesbury, UK

Glenn Smith

Don't think this is a "date" issue, more a general memory problem (in ruby?).
I added a simple line PUTS "test" at line 648 of
usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date.rb to check that this was the file at
fault, and when I ran "gem update" again it changed to:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/date/format.rb:327: [BUG] Segmentation fault

(I guess format.rb is called when I call PUTS?).

I installed ruby on my system by downloading the ruby 1.8.2 stable
source, and installed (as root) using the usual ./configure; make;
make install, I'm guessing that's right?

--

All the best
Glenn

Glenn Smith

FIXED! :o)

I just recompiled my Linux Kernel (upgraded to the most recent
2.6.11.6), then recompiled/reinstalled RUBY.

Then installed RUBYGEMS

And GEMS works! I'm downloading RAILS as we speak!!

Obviously something a bit screwy with SUSE's standard 64-bit kernel, a
recompile/tune with the latest version has fixed Ruby/Gems, and also
made my machine run a *lot* quicker!!

Glenn

--

All the best
Glenn

rL

Measures.) wrote:

>>(? R. L.

Christianity is

>>"God's Holy

>>thereof..

>>>Dogma is guaranteed truth.
>>>
>>? Assumptions carry no warranty.
>
>The assumption of accuracy didn't occur until the 19th century. And it only
>applies as dogma to Catholics.

? My guess is that Mary died and was buried in the 1st Century.

--
Richard L. Measures. AG6K, 805-386-3734, www.somis.org