ruby 1.8.2 compile warning

Chris Newman

3/23/2005 10:44:00 PM

I'm getting a warning when compiling ruby 1.8.2 from source on Solaris 8.

Here's the message...

In file included from ../../ruby.h:21,
from bigdecimal.c:23:
../../config.h:16: warning: `_FILE_OFFSET_BITS' redefined
/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h:96: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition

I looked at both definitions. The one in feature_tests.h is 32. The one in
the local ruby source config.h is 64.

Ruby appears to build successfully. Should I be concerned about this? Any
ideas as to how this constant is used? it sounds pretty important to me.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
1 Answer

Charles Mills

Chris Newman wrote:
> I'm getting a warning when compiling ruby 1.8.2 from source on
Solaris 8.

> Here's the message...
>
> In file included from ../../ruby.h:21,
> from bigdecimal.c:23:
> ./../config.h:16: warning: `_FILE_OFFSET_BITS' redefined
> /usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h:96: warning: this is the location of
the
> previous definition
>
> I looked at both definitions. The one in feature_tests.h is 32. The
one in
> the local ruby source config.h is 64.
>
> Ruby appears to build successfully. Should I be concerned about this?
Any
> ideas as to how this constant is used? it sounds pretty important to
me.

It is used to determine the size of off_t.

It probably won't be a problem in this instance, because bigdecimal.c
does not use seek, or anything like that. But it is a bug. If you
look at the top of bigdecimal.c ruby.h should be included before
ctype.h and all the other headers.

-Charlie