Help for the busy and docgen challenged

Jim Freeze

3/22/2005 1:36:00 AM

Ok, ok, I'm no Jamis, _why, Bill or even David.

But, I do need a way to generate documents
(at least web based) for my applications and
libraries.

I would prefer a system that let's me write
a text file and I format it with one of the
markup languages such as rdoc or xyz_cloth.
If a web interface for editing (like Hieraki)
is also provided, that is a bonus, but I must be able
to host the editor with either webrick or
Apache.

The output of this app needs to be a nicely
formatted book in the form of a working
website. It must have a TOC, an optional
index, chapter (and possibly subchapter) links,
support local references and outside links.

And one other thing, it needs to integrate with
docs generated for other apps/libraries.

So far, I have seen these features in several places,
but have been unable to find a 'gem' of a solution.
For example, Hieraki, docs by Jamis and books by _why.

Does this app already exist in product form? My queries
so far have lead me to "... well I used
[Hieraki|_why's book|rdoc] and then tweaked it like crazy".

Do you documentation experts have a solution you would
be willing to share? Do you have something close that
you would be willing to put on rubyforge and start an
active project?

I have been needing this for some time but have been too
busy working on some other complimentary features
(soon to be announced). Plus, I don't think I could come
up with an acceptable solution in a reasonable amount of
time due to my lack of CSS/HTML experience.

A few crumbs please?

--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

7 Answers

Eric Hodel

On 21 Mar 2005, at 17:35, Jim Freeze wrote:

> Ok, ok, I'm no Jamis, _why, Bill or even David.
>
> But, I do need a way to generate documents
> (at least web based) for my applications and
> libraries.
>
> I would prefer a system that let's me write
> a text file and I format it with one of the
> markup languages such as rdoc or xyz_cloth.
> If a web interface for editing (like Hieraki)
> is also provided, that is a bonus, but I must be able
> to host the editor with either webrick or
> Apache.
>
> The output of this app needs to be a nicely
> formatted book in the form of a working
> website. It must have a TOC, an optional
> index, chapter (and possibly subchapter) links,
> support local references and outside links.
>
> And one other thing, it needs to integrate with
> docs generated for other apps/libraries.

Can you expound upon this one?

> A few crumbs please?

ZenWeb?

http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenWeb/...

You can browse around zenspider.com for a good overview of its
features. My website, segment7.net, is also generated by ZenWeb.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

Jim Freeze

* Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> [2005-03-22 10:47:42 +0900]:

> ZenWeb?
>
> http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenWeb/...
>
> You can browse around zenspider.com for a good overview of its
> features. My website, segment7.net, is also generated by ZenWeb.

Looks good. I'm reviewing the site now.
Is there a gem for it?

--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

bigdog

On Friday, April 5, 2013 11:31:57 AM UTC-4, thinbluemime wrote:

> And guns and large capacity magazines can't be banned either. They can be
> outlawed, but since criminals don't obey the law anyway, it's nearly
> useless. With the newest 3D printer technology on the horizon, Pandora's
> box is about to open and the only thing that can restrain her is a clear
> thinking, rational, well armed citizenry.
>
> If one guy can do this and is stopped, how many others are out there with
> the 3D printers under the radar? Be sure to follow the link below for an
> explanation.

Once a downloadable AR receiver in 3D printable format becomes available, trying to get rid of it will be like getting the piss out of the pool. Once it reaches cyberspace, it's here to stay. The file will be copied and recopied and since it will be in digital format, there will be no degradation of it from one generation of the file to the next.

I believe the AR is the first firearm being developed for 3D printer format but other polymer guns will surely follow. The metal components necessary to add to them to make them functional are readily available.

Too_Many_Tools

On Apr 5, 11:06 am, bigdog <jecorbett1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 5, 2013 11:31:57 AM UTC-4, thinbluemime wrote:
> > And guns and large capacity magazines can't be banned either.  They can be
> > outlawed, but since criminals don't obey the law anyway, it's nearly
> > useless. With the newest 3D printer technology on the horizon, Pandora's
> > box is about to open and the only thing that can restrain her is a clear
> > thinking, rational, well armed citizenry.
>
> > If one guy can do this and is stopped, how many others are out there with
> > the 3D printers under the radar? Be sure to follow the link below for an
> > explanation.
>
> Once a downloadable AR receiver in 3D printable format becomes available, trying to get rid of it will be like getting the piss out of the pool. Once it reaches cyberspace, it's here to stay. The file will be copied and recopied and since it will be in digital format, there will be no degradation of it from one generation of the file to the next.
>
> I believe the AR is the first firearm being developed for 3D printer format but other polymer guns will surely follow. The metal components necessary to add to them to make them functional are readily available.

You are so full of shit.

3D printing is a dead end.

It can easily be disabled...and any that slip through can be dealt
with like having a meth lab...with the suitable jail time.

TMT

bigdog

On Friday, April 5, 2013 12:38:33 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime wrote:

> LOL, Well said. The Constitution is a set of principles set in place for
> when times are tough, emotions are raw, and the tendency to violate human
> rights is high.

Also well said.

bigdog

On Friday, April 5, 2013 1:45:08 PM UTC-4, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

> It can easily be disabled...and any that slip through can be dealt
> with like having a meth lab...with the suitable jail time.

You really are a dumbass. Just how do you think that once a downloadable file gets out into cyberspace that it can be disabled? It's really not a fair fight when our opponents are such dumbfucks.

Too_Many_Tools

On Apr 5, 1:20 pm, bigdog <jecorbett1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 5, 2013 1:45:08 PM UTC-4, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
>
> > It can easily be disabled...and any that slip through can be dealt
> > with like having a meth lab...with the suitable jail time.
>
> You really are a dumbass. Just how do you think that once a downloadable file gets out into cyberspace that it can be disabled? It's really not a fair fight when our opponents are such dumbfucks.

LOL...you are the dumbass...amazing how you are so freaking ignorant
of technology.

So many ways to screw you and your 3D printer over...and the fact that
you are trying to print a firearm would be a felony with jail time.

TMT