Dave Wirth

12/9/2002 5:49:00 PM

I am having problems getting the MMIT to install
correctly on my production web server. It was installed
and working for about 10 months then the hard disk went
down and we replaced it.

I discovered the mobile device pages weren't working so I
reinstalled the MMIT - it said it did it ok but the pages
do not work.

It appears to me that the machine.config is not being
updated by the install program. I find the
System.Web.Mobile.DLL in the right directory so I think
it is just a machine.config issue.

Can I just copy the MMIT sections from another machine's
machine.config file (with the same Framework version) and
what will I run into down the road doing it this way?

I found one post here about doing this but having
problems installing the update.

Anybody have any ideas why the install won't work right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave Wirth
ASI Computer Systems.

3 Answers

Frank Tse [MS]

For sure if the MMIT sections are missing in machine.config the pages are
not gonna work. Copying them from other machine seems to be a solution.
Can you try and see if it works?

Frank

"Dave Wirth" <davew@asicomp.com> wrote in message
> I am having problems getting the MMIT to install
> correctly on my production web server. It was installed
> and working for about 10 months then the hard disk went
> down and we replaced it.
>
> I discovered the mobile device pages weren't working so I
> reinstalled the MMIT - it said it did it ok but the pages
> do not work.
>
> It appears to me that the machine.config is not being
> updated by the install program. I find the
> System.Web.Mobile.DLL in the right directory so I think
> it is just a machine.config issue.
>
> Can I just copy the MMIT sections from another machine's
> machine.config file (with the same Framework version) and
> what will I run into down the road doing it this way?
>
> I found one post here about doing this but having
> problems installing the update.
>
> Anybody have any ideas why the install won't work right?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Dave Wirth
> ASI Computer Systems.

Dave Wirth

I tried copying them from my laptop that I think has the
same version of the Framework (v1.0.3705) but then I
didn't have the right System.Web.Mobile.dll so I copied
that also. The version of the .DLL is 1.0.2506.0 and it
works on my laptop but on the Web Server it keeps saying
it needs version 1.0.3300.0.

In the aspnet.config on my laptop it seems to point to
1.0.3300.0 also but I don't get the error - I have copied
the aspnet.config and the System.Web.Mobile.DLL from my
laptop and still get the incorrect version error on my
web server.

It appears that I have a different version on my laptop
in c:\windows\assembly that when viewed in Windows
Explorer says Version 1.0.3300.0 (along with a lot of
other System DLLs) but when I right click and view
properties it says 1.0.2506.0 (but it is a different size
than the one in
c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.0.3705) so it must
have something to do with that but I don't know if I can
just copy or what I need to do to get it to work.

The aspnet.config from my laptop is below:
<configuration>
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-
com:asm.v1">
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web"
publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture=""/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-
1.65535.65535.65535" newVersion="1.0.3300.0"/>
</dependentAssembly>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
name="System.Web.RegularExpressions"
publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture=""/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-
1.65535.65535.65535" newVersion="1.0.3300.0"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
</configuration>

Anything you think I should try short of starting over?
How can I get the version in c:\winnt\assembly to show
the 1.0.3300.0 version that the other assemblies do?

thanks for the help
dave wirth
ASI Computer Systems

confers no rights.

>"Dave Wirth" <davew@asicomp.com> wrote in message
>> I am having problems getting the MMIT to install
>> correctly on my production web server. It was installed
>> and working for about 10 months then the hard disk went
>> down and we replaced it.
>>
>> I discovered the mobile device pages weren't working
so I
>> reinstalled the MMIT - it said it did it ok but the
pages
>> do not work.
>>
>> It appears to me that the machine.config is not being
>> updated by the install program. I find the
>> System.Web.Mobile.DLL in the right directory so I think
>> it is just a machine.config issue.
>>
>> Can I just copy the MMIT sections from another
machine's
>> machine.config file (with the same Framework version)
and
>> what will I run into down the road doing it this way?
>>
>> I found one post here about doing this but having
>> problems installing the update.
>>
>> Anybody have any ideas why the install won't work
right?

>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Dave Wirth
>> ASI Computer Systems.
>>

>.

Frank Tse [MS]

Can you try the following steps and see if it fixes the version problem:
1. Make sure the right System.Web.Mobile.dll is in
%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705
2. Run "gacutil -i
%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\System.Web.Mobile.dll
3. Restart IIS

A note is that gacutil.exe should be included on your machine if you
installed the .NET Framework SDK or Visual Studio.NET. If it is not there,
you can copy one from other machine.

Another note is that 1.0.2506.0 should be the physical file version and
1.0.3300.0 should be assembly version. They do not necessary to be the
same.