TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes

hs

11/29/2002 10:21:00 AM

Hi Everyone,
Not sure about this, when i'm browsing my mobile webform
with IE, my TextBox.TextChanged event gets fired when I
hit the enter key. This event doesn't get fired when i'm
browsing with the PocketPC emulater. Is this the way its
mean't to be or am i doing something wrong.
My Link control also doesn't work on the PocketPC emulater.

My second question is regarding, the keypad. The devices
i'm developing for may have function keys(F1, F2 etc) and
alphanumerics. Can someone direct me to an example on how
to code for these keys.

TIA
hs
12 Answers

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

hs,

Let me look into thi further and I will respond as soon as I have any
additional information.

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Support

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| Sender: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| Subject: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:21:25 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| Hi Everyone,
| Not sure about this, when i'm browsing my mobile webform
| with IE, my TextBox.TextChanged event gets fired when I
| hit the enter key. This event doesn't get fired when i'm
| browsing with the PocketPC emulater. Is this the way its
| mean't to be or am i doing something wrong.
| My Link control also doesn't work on the PocketPC emulater.
|
| My second question is regarding, the keypad. The devices
| i'm developing for may have function keys(F1, F2 etc) and
| alphanumerics. Can someone direct me to an example on how
| to code for these keys.
|
| TIA
| hs

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

hs,

Can you be more specific about the device you are coding to that contains
these special keys? What specifically are you attempting to do with these
function keys? What emulator are you using to test with that has these
function keys?

Your other question about the TextBox_Changed event firing when browsed
with IE is a function of IE. I have seen other issues regarding this, and
if the issue is a trouble spot you could trap for the keycode 13 and then
decide on whether or not to fire the event. But regardless, this is a
function of IE and how it treats Textboxes on a webform.

Thanks!
Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Support

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: patcole@online.microsoft.com (Patrick C. Cole (MS))
| Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 20:25:20 GMT
| Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| hs,
|
| Let me look into thi further and I will respond as soon as I have any
| additional information.
|
| Patrick Cole
| Microsoft Developer Support

rights.
| You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
| reserved.
| --------------------
| | From: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| | Sender: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| | Subject: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| | Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:21:25 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
| |
| | Hi Everyone,
| | Not sure about this, when i'm browsing my mobile webform
| | with IE, my TextBox.TextChanged event gets fired when I
| | hit the enter key. This event doesn't get fired when i'm
| | browsing with the PocketPC emulater. Is this the way its
| | mean't to be or am i doing something wrong.
| | My Link control also doesn't work on the PocketPC emulater.
| |
| | My second question is regarding, the keypad. The devices
| | i'm developing for may have function keys(F1, F2 etc) and
| | alphanumerics. Can someone direct me to an example on how
| | to code for these keys.
| |
| | TIA
| | hs
| |

hs

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your response.

Firstly, the TextBox_Changed event is firing. I don't know
why it wasn't working before. You mention I can trap for
keycode 13 on IE, not sure how you do this. If you can
forward me a good reference (or a code example) of this, I
would be very grateful.

As for the device i'm targeting, i'm interested in barcode
scanning devices. The latest barcode scanning devices (eg
LXE MX4) come with WinCE. So I should be able to run
mobile aspx pages. I want the users to be able to press F1
to get a help screen. On this form a numbered List will
appear with a hidden TextBox and Command button. They will
select a number from the list(on their keypad) and hit
enter.
So, on FormHelp_Activate, I want to focus on the hidden
TextBox, then tab to the commandbutton(and so on). So far,
i haven't found any useful literature on how to set focus
or tab. Any references (or help) will be appreciated.

TIA
hs

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

hs,

The trapping of keycode 13 is more for client-side JScript, not
specifically for a mobile application. I was more trying to point out that
IE in some caes (single Textbox on a form with a button) will fire the
Text_Changed event when the Enter/Return key is pressed.

I have a better understanding of what you are attempting to do. Please let
me research this a little more and I will repost as soon as I have more
information.

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Support

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| Sender: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 02:20:47 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| Hi Patrick,
| Thanks for your response.
|
| Firstly, the TextBox_Changed event is firing. I don't know
| why it wasn't working before. You mention I can trap for
| keycode 13 on IE, not sure how you do this. If you can
| forward me a good reference (or a code example) of this, I
| would be very grateful.
|
| As for the device i'm targeting, i'm interested in barcode
| scanning devices. The latest barcode scanning devices (eg
| LXE MX4) come with WinCE. So I should be able to run
| mobile aspx pages. I want the users to be able to press F1
| to get a help screen. On this form a numbered List will
| appear with a hidden TextBox and Command button. They will
| select a number from the list(on their keypad) and hit
| enter.
| So, on FormHelp_Activate, I want to focus on the hidden
| TextBox, then tab to the commandbutton(and so on). So far,
| i haven't found any useful literature on how to set focus
| or tab. Any references (or help) will be appreciated.
|

| TIA
| hs

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

hs,

I am still researching this issue. With hopes I will have more information
on Monday.

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Communities

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: patcole@online.microsoft.com (Patrick C. Cole (MS))
| Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:37:44 GMT
| Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| hs,
|
| The trapping of keycode 13 is more for client-side JScript, not
| specifically for a mobile application. I was more trying to point out
that
| IE in some caes (single Textbox on a form with a button) will fire the
| Text_Changed event when the Enter/Return key is pressed.
|
| I have a better understanding of what you are attempting to do. Please
let
| me research this a little more and I will repost as soon as I have more
| information.
|
| Patrick Cole
| Microsoft Developer Support

rights.
| You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
| reserved.
| --------------------
| | From: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| | Sender: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| | Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| | Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 02:20:47 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
| |
| | Hi Patrick,
| | Thanks for your response.
| |
| | Firstly, the TextBox_Changed event is firing. I don't know
| | why it wasn't working before. You mention I can trap for
| | keycode 13 on IE, not sure how you do this. If you can
| | forward me a good reference (or a code example) of this, I
| | would be very grateful.
| |
| | As for the device i'm targeting, i'm interested in barcode
| | scanning devices. The latest barcode scanning devices (eg
| | LXE MX4) come with WinCE. So I should be able to run
| | mobile aspx pages. I want the users to be able to press F1
| | to get a help screen. On this form a numbered List will
| | appear with a hidden TextBox and Command button. They will
| | select a number from the list(on their keypad) and hit
| | enter.
| | So, on FormHelp_Activate, I want to focus on the hidden
| | TextBox, then tab to the commandbutton(and so on). So far,
| | i haven't found any useful literature on how to set focus
| | or tab. Any references (or help) will be appreciated.
| |
| |
| | TIA
| | hs
| |

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

I am still researching this, with luck I will have something more concrete
in the next day or so.

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Communities

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: patcole@online.microsoft.com (Patrick C. Cole [MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:09:41 GMT
| Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| hs,
|
| I am still researching this issue. With hopes I will have more
information
| on Monday.
|
| Patrick Cole
| Microsoft Developer Communities

rights.
| You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights
| reserved.
| --------------------
| | From: patcole@online.microsoft.com (Patrick C. Cole (MS))
| | Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:37:44 GMT
| | Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
| |
| | hs,
| |
| | The trapping of keycode 13 is more for client-side JScript, not
| | specifically for a mobile application. I was more trying to point out
| that
| | IE in some caes (single Textbox on a form with a button) will fire the
| | Text_Changed event when the Enter/Return key is pressed.
| |
| | I have a better understanding of what you are attempting to do. Please
| let
| | me research this a little more and I will repost as soon as I have more
| | information.
| |
| | Patrick Cole
| | Microsoft Developer Support
| |
| | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
| rights
| | reserved.
| | --------------------
| | | From: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| | | Sender: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| | | Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| | | Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 02:20:47 -0800
| | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
| | |
| | | Hi Patrick,
| | | Thanks for your response.
| | |
| | | Firstly, the TextBox_Changed event is firing. I don't know
| | | why it wasn't working before. You mention I can trap for
| | | keycode 13 on IE, not sure how you do this. If you can
| | | forward me a good reference (or a code example) of this, I
| | | would be very grateful.
| | |
| | | As for the device i'm targeting, i'm interested in barcode
| | | scanning devices. The latest barcode scanning devices (eg
| | | LXE MX4) come with WinCE. So I should be able to run
| | | mobile aspx pages. I want the users to be able to press F1
| | | to get a help screen. On this form a numbered List will
| | | appear with a hidden TextBox and Command button. They will
| | | select a number from the list(on their keypad) and hit
| | | enter.
| | | So, on FormHelp_Activate, I want to focus on the hidden
| | | TextBox, then tab to the commandbutton(and so on). So far,
| | | i haven't found any useful literature on how to set focus
| | | or tab. Any references (or help) will be appreciated.
| | |
| | |
| | | TIA
| | | hs
| | |
| |
| |

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

hs,

I have a sample that demonstrates how this could be possible, but I fear
that trapping the keystroke for a function key will not be possible. The
sample below uses client-side textboxes and JScript to allow for the focus
setting of the textbox. This is not a complete solution to what you are
looking for, but I hope that this can get you started in the right
direction. This solutino will depend on what the Choice Filter for the
specific platform is, and whether or not it supports JScript client-side.
The code below works in Internet Explorer or any HTML32 device.

<mobile:Form id="Form1" runat="server">
<mobile:Panel id="Panel1" runat="server">
<mobile:DeviceSpecific id="DeviceSpecific1" Runat="server">
<Choice Filter="isHTML32">
<contenttemplate>
<Script Language="javascript">
<!--
document.onkeypress = keyhandler;

function keyhandler(e)
{
Key = window.event.keyCode;
if (Key != 0)
{
alert("KeyCode Pressed " + Key);
window.document.Form1._ctl0_TextBox2.focus();
//Cancel keypress as to not enter key into field
return(false);
}
}
//--></Script>
<INPUT type="text" id="text1" name="text1Name" value="Hello">
<INPUT type="text" id="text2" name="text2Name" value="Goodbye">
</contenttemplate>
</Choice>
</mobile:DeviceSpecific>
</mobile:Panel>
</mobile:Form>

Hope this helps,

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Communities

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| Sender: "hs" <hs@nospam.syn>
| Subject: RE: TextBox.TextChanged event and key strokes
| Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 02:20:47 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| Hi Patrick,
| Thanks for your response.
|
| Firstly, the TextBox_Changed event is firing. I don't know
| why it wasn't working before. You mention I can trap for
| keycode 13 on IE, not sure how you do this. If you can
| forward me a good reference (or a code example) of this, I
| would be very grateful.
|
| As for the device i'm targeting, i'm interested in barcode
| scanning devices. The latest barcode scanning devices (eg
| LXE MX4) come with WinCE. So I should be able to run
| mobile aspx pages. I want the users to be able to press F1
| to get a help screen. On this form a numbered List will
| appear with a hidden TextBox and Command button. They will
| select a number from the list(on their keypad) and hit
| enter.
| So, on FormHelp_Activate, I want to focus on the hidden
| TextBox, then tab to the commandbutton(and so on). So far,
| i haven't found any useful literature on how to set focus
| or tab. Any references (or help) will be appreciated.
|

| TIA
| hs

hs

Hi Patrick,
Your sample works. I'll try and apply it to my example and
see how far I get.

Thanks for your help.

hs

hs

Hi Patrick,
I've modified your code a bit and am getting a problem. I
cant focus on a <mobile:TextBox>. My textbox has a ':' in
its name and IE is objecting. Code below.

<mobile:Form id="Form1" runat="server">
<mobile:Panel id="Panel1" runat="server">
<mobile:DeviceSpecific id="DeviceSpecific1"
runat="server">
<Choice Filter="isHTML32">
<contenttemplate>
<script language="javascript" for="window"
event="onload()">
<!--
window.document.Form1._ctl0:TextBox2.focus();
//-->
</script>
<mobile:TextBox id="TextBox1"
runat="server"></mobile:TextBox>
<mobile:TextBox id="TextBox2"
runat="server"></mobile:TextBox>
</contenttemplate>
</Choice>
</mobile:DeviceSpecific>
</mobile:Panel>
</mobile:Form>

I'm not sure how i can remove the : from the name. Any
help would be appreciated.

hs

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

hs,

Researching issue, will post more information as soon as possible about
selecting the mobile:Textbox control.