Nokia 8310 gives "Server too busy" with application variables

Simon Hooper

I have made a small app using MMIT and some pages use application variables.
When I access with a nokia 8310 it is fine until I hit a page where an
application variables is set. It then gives a HTTP 500 "server too busy"
error. It all works fine in a desktop web browser and 1 other i-mode phone I
had a friend try. If I take out the application variable, the pages load ok.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,

Simon Hooper

4 Answers

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Simon,

What is the content/value in the application variable that is failing?
Can you create a very simple page which reproduces the error and post it
for us to look at?

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
>From: "Simon Hooper" <simonhooper@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Nokia 8310 gives "Server too busy" with application variables
>Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:28:34 -0000
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
>
>Hi,
>
>I have made a small app using MMIT and some pages use application
variables.
>When I access with a nokia 8310 it is fine until I hit a page where an
>application variables is set. It then gives a HTTP 500 "server too busy"
>error. It all works fine in a desktop web browser and 1 other i-mode phone
>had a friend try. If I take out the application variable, the pages load
ok.

>Anyone experienced anything like this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Simon Hooper

Simon Hooper

I have some more information about this.

I was actually using a session variable to name the application variable

i.e. application(session("myVar"))

and it is actually the session variable it doesn't like. If I replace with
application("anyname") it's ok. Again, the original

application(session("myVar")) works fine in a desktop browser but not on my
nokia 8310. Interesting thing is that if I set <sessionstate
cookieless='true'">, it is ok on the nokia. Cookies are switched on on the
phone.

Thanks,

Simon Hooper

""Mike Moore [MS]"" <michmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Simon,
>
> What is the content/value in the application variable that is failing?
> Can you create a very simple page which reproduces the error and post it
> for us to look at?
>
> Thank you, Mike Moore
> Microsoft, ASP.NET
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> --------------------
> >From: "Simon Hooper" <simonhooper@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: Nokia 8310 gives "Server too busy" with application variables
> >Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:28:34 -0000
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have made a small app using MMIT and some pages use application
> variables.
> >When I access with a nokia 8310 it is fine until I hit a page where an
> >application variables is set. It then gives a HTTP 500 "server too busy"
> >error. It all works fine in a desktop web browser and 1 other i-mode
phone
> >had a friend try. If I take out the application variable, the pages load
> ok.
> >
> >Anyone experienced anything like this?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Simon Hooper

(Sachin Goregaoker (MS))

Hello Simon,
Thanks for providing the extra information about your MMIT issue. I'm currently researching your issue and will get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Here is a description as I understand it:

- If you use Application variables named by values coming from Session variables you will see this behavior.
Example: Application(session("myvar"))

- Moreover the behavior is only manifested with cookieless session state set to false. If you set cookieless session
state to "true", it works fine.

Please correct me if I missed something.
Thanks.

- Sachin Goregaoker
Microsoft Developer Support

and confers no rights.
--------------------
| |
| Hi,
|
| I have some more information about this.
|
| I was actually using a session variable to name the application variable
|
| i.e. application(session("myVar"))
|
| and it is actually the session variable it doesn't like. If I replace with
| application("anyname") it's ok. Again, the original
|
| application(session("myVar")) works fine in a desktop browser but not on my
| nokia 8310. Interesting thing is that if I set <sessionstate
| cookieless='true'">, it is ok on the nokia. Cookies are switched on on the
| phone.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Simon Hooper
|
| ""Mike Moore [MS]"" <michmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Simon,
| >
| > What is the content/value in the application variable that is failing?
| > Can you create a very simple page which reproduces the error and post it
| > for us to look at?
| >
| > Thank you, Mike Moore
| > Microsoft, ASP.NET
| >
| > This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > >From: "Simon Hooper" <simonhooper@hotmail.com>
| > >Subject: Nokia 8310 gives "Server too busy" with application variables
| > >Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:28:34 -0000
| > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
| > >
| > >Hi,
| > >
| > >I have made a small app using MMIT and some pages use application
| > variables.
| > >When I access with a nokia 8310 it is fine until I hit a page where an
| > >application variables is set. It then gives a HTTP 500 "server too busy"
| > >error. It all works fine in a desktop web browser and 1 other i-mode
| phone
| > >had a friend try. If I take out the application variable, the pages load
| > ok.
| > >
| > >Anyone experienced anything like this?
| > >
| > >Thanks,
| > >
| > >Simon Hooper

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Simon,

The issue you are seeing may well be due to the fact that the gateway you
are using does not support cookies. Could you please let us know which
Gateway you are using?

Thanks
Sachin
Microsoft, ASP.NET