Dial-inl wap gateway possible ?

Carlo Rafalski

11/14/2002 11:50:00 AM

Our webserver (only used for intranet access) is not connected to the
internet, but has dial-in capability via ISDN. What must be installed on the
server in order to allow mobile users the access the MMIT web pages ?

Carlo

4 Answers

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Carlo,

Mobile devices access web servers via the service provider for the mobile
device. For example, the service provider for your mobile device might be
Sprint, or AT&T, or .... there are lots of them out there.

The service provider has a connection to the internet. This allows your
device to access the internet. Your service provider (probably) does not
have a connection to your company's internal network. Therefore, they
cannot provide your device with a connection to your company's internal
network.

Please call the service provider for your device and ask them if they can
provide this service.

Does this answer your question?

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
>From: "Carlo Rafalski" <carlo@scalacs.de>
>Subject: Dial-inl wap gateway possible ?
>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:50:07 +0100
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
>
>Our webserver (only used for intranet access) is not connected to the
>internet, but has dial-in capability via ISDN. What must be installed on
the
>server in order to allow mobile users the access the MMIT web pages ?
>
>Carlo

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi again,

I hit the send button too quickly. Your specific question was what is
needed on your server. The answer is the .NET Framework plus MMIT
(Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit)

MMIT Download
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027...
sdncompositedoc.xml

Please note that the "Related Information" section in this article lists
some updates.

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
>From: michmo@online.microsoft.com ("Mike Moore [MS]")
>Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:50:50 GMT
>Subject: RE: Dial-inl wap gateway possible ?
>
>Hi Carlo,
>
>Mobile devices access web servers via the service provider for the mobile
>device. For example, the service provider for your mobile device might be
>Sprint, or AT&T, or .... there are lots of them out there.
>
>The service provider has a connection to the internet. This allows your
>device to access the internet. Your service provider (probably) does not
>have a connection to your company's internal network. Therefore, they
>cannot provide your device with a connection to your company's internal
>network.
>
>Please call the service provider for your device and ask them if they can
>provide this service.
>
>Does this answer your question?
>
>Thank you, Mike Moore
>Microsoft, ASP.NET
>
>This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

>--------------------
>>From: "Carlo Rafalski" <carlo@scalacs.de>
>>Subject: Dial-inl wap gateway possible ?
>>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:50:07 +0100
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
>>
>>Our webserver (only used for intranet access) is not connected to the
>>internet, but has dial-in capability via ISDN. What must be installed on
>the
>>server in order to allow mobile users the access the MMIT web pages ?
>>
>>Carlo

Carlo Rafalski

Hi Mike,

I really ment if its possible to have the WAP-Gateway functionality on our
server. The server has a mobile connected by a serial cable to COM1. So it
is possible to directly call the server from a mobile. There exists
SMS-Gateway software for sending and receiving SMS (see www.winsms.com ) on
the server. And I know there is an open source project
http://www.k... which aims to be a WAP-Gateway. My question is
whether there is a WAP-Gateway solution for windows.

Thank you
Carlo Rafalski

""Mike Moore [MS]"" <michmo@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi again,
>
> I hit the send button too quickly. Your specific question was what is
> needed on your server. The answer is the .NET Framework plus MMIT
> (Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit)
>
> MMIT Download

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027...
> sdncompositedoc.xml
>
> Please note that the "Related Information" section in this article lists
> some updates.
>
> Thank you, Mike Moore
> Microsoft, ASP.NET
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> --------------------
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
> >From: michmo@online.microsoft.com ("Mike Moore [MS]")
> >Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:50:50 GMT
> >Subject: RE: Dial-inl wap gateway possible ?
> >
> >Hi Carlo,
> >
> >Mobile devices access web servers via the service provider for the mobile
> >device. For example, the service provider for your mobile device might be
> >Sprint, or AT&T, or .... there are lots of them out there.
> >
> >The service provider has a connection to the internet. This allows your
> >device to access the internet. Your service provider (probably) does not
> >have a connection to your company's internal network. Therefore, they
> >cannot provide your device with a connection to your company's internal
> >network.
> >
> >Please call the service provider for your device and ask them if they can
> >provide this service.
> >
> >Does this answer your question?
> >
> >Thank you, Mike Moore
> >Microsoft, ASP.NET
> >
> >This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> >
> >--------------------
> >>From: "Carlo Rafalski" <carlo@scalacs.de>
> >>Subject: Dial-inl wap gateway possible ?
> >>Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:50:07 +0100
> >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
> >>
> >>Our webserver (only used for intranet access) is not connected to the
> >>internet, but has dial-in capability via ISDN. What must be installed on
> >the
> >>server in order to allow mobile users the access the MMIT web pages ?
> >>
> >>Carlo

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Carlo,

QUESTION
Is there a MMIT WAP Gateway to allow my device to connect to my Windows
server via the Comm1 port?

ANSWER
Here are my suggestions:

1) Contact the manufacturer of the device you are using. In general,
gateway software is written by the maker of the device rather than maker of
the operating system.

2) You wrote about two programs that offer some of the functionality you
are seeking. Contact the two companies and ask how you might use their
software to meet your needs.

3) Repost with the brand and model of device you are using. It may turn out
that I still don't have anything more to offer you, but knowing the device
involved will increase my chances of finding something for you.

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET