Compiling VB mobile user control into a DLL?

Edward J. Stembler

10/24/2002 4:08:00 PM

Anyone know how I can get my VB mobile user control
(*.ascx) into a dll, and have it show up in the toolbox?

I can get it to compile in a regular class library dll
just fine, however, VS complains that there is no control
to add to the toolbox. I see Microsoft's
DynamicMobileImage example uses a regular class library,
but it's done in C#. I also tried creating a web control
library, however, when I look at the default source unit
which was created, it doesn't look like it would mesh with
a mobile user control.

Any ideas?
3 Answers

Alex Crookes

That's a custom control, not a user control - user
controls are more about code reuse. Custom controls are
better suited to redistribution and may well be more
complex than you really need.

Custom controls are also rather more complex. It's covered
in the ASP.net quickstart under the ASP.net
Webforms/Authoring custom controls section.

Can you maybe explain a little about what you're trying to
achieve?

Edward J. Stembler

I'm just want to be able to access my VB mobile user
control in the code-behind for the page it's used in
(*.aspx.vb). Like I mentioned in my previous thread:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/previ...
p?
ICP=msdn&sLCID=us&sgroupURL=microsoft.public.dotnet.framewo
rk.aspnet.mobile&sMessageID=%253Ccd1801c27b63%25245c203ab0%
25242ae2c90a@phx.gbl%253E

Edward J. Stembler

Nevermind. Using reflection via Page.FindControl works
great.

While I could compile my VB *.ascx MobileUserControl into
a class library, I could not install it in the Toolbox. I
was trying to achive the same effect of Microsoft's
Toolbox installable MobileDynamicImage, which lives in a
class library (DLL) and was written in C#.