Parker

10/15/2002 8:25:00 PM

I had successfully installed mmit and was able to run the quickstart
examples. I UNinstalled mmit and tried to REinstall it. I receive the
message, "unrecognized configuration section, 'deviceFilter'". I checked the
Knowledge Base and it confirms that mmit is not installed correctly on the
server. I have tried to REinstall, UNinstall and then REinstall but still
the same message.

System: W2K PRO SP3, latest Windows Hotfixes, VS .NET, .NET Framework SDK
SP2 (1.0.3705.288). I have run the VS Windows Components Update and the VS
.NET Repair.

When I REinstall mmit I receive the following message: "Setup has detected
one or more components of the Mobile Internet Toolkit already installed.
Files overwritten during this install will be removed when you uninstall.
This may leave certain components in a broken state and you will need to run
Setup again to restore functionality."

I believe I understand the message which shouldn't impact the REinstall. I
have even tried once again an UNinstall and REinstall without success.

Any similar experiences and resolutions would be most appreciated. Any
suggestions would be appreciated as well.

3 Answers

(Patrick C. Cole (MS))

Parker,

I am still researching the issue. should have more information for you
tomorrow.

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Support

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------
| From: "Parker" <aparker@qwest.net>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
| Subject: MMIT RE-install Issue...
| Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:25:12 GMT
|
| I had successfully installed mmit and was able to run the quickstart
| examples. I UNinstalled mmit and tried to REinstall it. I receive the
| message, "unrecognized configuration section, 'deviceFilter'". I checked
the
| Knowledge Base and it confirms that mmit is not installed correctly on the
| server. I have tried to REinstall, UNinstall and then REinstall but still
| the same message.
|
| System: W2K PRO SP3, latest Windows Hotfixes, VS .NET, .NET Framework SDK
| SP2 (1.0.3705.288). I have run the VS Windows Components Update and the VS
| .NET Repair.
|
| When I REinstall mmit I receive the following message: "Setup has detected
| one or more components of the Mobile Internet Toolkit already installed.
| Files overwritten during this install will be removed when you uninstall.
| This may leave certain components in a broken state and you will need to
run
| Setup again to restore functionality."
|
| I believe I understand the message which shouldn't impact the REinstall. I
| have even tried once again an UNinstall and REinstall without success.
|
| Any similar experiences and resolutions would be most appreciated. Any
| suggestions would be appreciated as well.

(Tim Macaulay[MS])

Hi Parker,

My name is Tim Macaulay of the Microsoft Visual Studio Setup & Install
Support Team.
I will be working on the issue with you.

I am currently researching the issue, and will get back to you later today.

Tim Macaulay

(Tim Macaulay[MS])

Hi Parker,

In reviewing the post, I notice that you are receiving the error message

"unrecognized configuration section, 'deviceFilter'"

Are you receiving the Error message during install or during the process of
browsing a webform?
I have found some information in the Microsoft Knowledge Base pertaining to
the issue. I have listed it below.

Q310428 PRB: DeviceFilters Cause Configuration Error

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-...

The article indicates that the runtime files are not installed, and that
you can install them by selecting the Full Install. If you have not
already done that, I would recommend going back through the install either
doing a Full install or locate the Mobile Internet Controls Runtime through
the Add/Remove Features.

If that doesn't work, I would try uninstalling MMIT, reboot the machine,
and then shutdown all the services(antivirus, firewall,etc) that you can
and execute the install of MMIT.

Please let me know how things go.

Thank you,
Tim Macaulay