fun syntax.carldr.com trick for Emacs on OSX

Christian Metts

3/20/2005 9:49:00 AM

A fun trick I whipped up to make syntax.carldr.com more useful to me.
It's a bit messy and probably brittle (as my elisp is weak) but it
works.

(define-key ruby-mode-map (kbd "C-c M-|")
(lambda (reg-start reg-end) (interactive "r")
(shell-command-on-region reg-start reg-end "curl -s -F
'description=Code' -F 'code=<-' http://syntax.c...s... |
grep 'Link 2:' | /usr/local/bin/ruby -e 'print gets[/http:.*/]' |
pbcopy")))

It allows me to hit crtl-c meta-| in any ruby buffer and it posts the
current region to http://syntax.c... and copies the resulting
http://... url to my OSX clipboard. Yay for glue!

Things to note:
* It uses an unannounced and probably non-final CLI interface to the
paste-site. Carl may very well break it.
* This posts whatever is in your region to a public server. Don't do
it to sensitive data!
* It occasionally fails for an unknown reason, probably a
network/curl issue, repeating the command works.
* My Emacs doesn't read my environment properly and I've never
bothered to fix it. So the full path to ruby is used. Fix it if you
need too.

-- Xian

1 Answer

Steve Hawkins

"Ed Edelenbos" <eded@spookeasy.net> wrote in

> "Larry Pattis" <NeverHere@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <2009061311420316807-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a new L09 and put some lighter gauge strings on it, 11's
>>> instead of 12's. My hands aren't what they use to be and I may move
>>> to 10's. But in the meantime the relief on the neck is a bit
>>> shallow and I need to make it a beat deeper for the current 11's.
>>>
>>> I have the J-shaped truss rod tool (3/16th), which I can find the
>>> truss rod with, but nothing turns. It's not locked, mind you, it's
>>> that I find the hole (the tool is striking metal and can't be moved
>>> up/down/left/right--it's home) and start turning and it just turns
>>> around like it's an empty hole.
>>>
>>> Is there a trick to this?
>>

>> Either you're actually not in the hole properly, or the rod is
>> compleely loose. I don't think Larrivée is using 2-way truss rods,
>> although I could be wrong.
>>
>> My 2-1/2 year old PV-09s have one-way rods.
>>
>> --
>> Larry Pattis
>> email: LP "at" LarryPattis "dot" com
>> http://www.Larry...
>
> My experience was that it is possible to think (i.e. have it feel
> like) it is in but it isn't. The first couple times I tried, it took
> a little doing to actually get the tool lined up and seated properly.
> My suggestion would be to try again. If you continue to have
> problems, get ahold of a short 3/16" Allen wrench and try it with the
> strings off. Ed

A small mirror would solve the problem.

Steve Hawkins