Class Methods

Adelle Hartley

3/19/2005 4:31:00 PM

Hi all,

I have a routine that creates classes based on data retrieved from a
database.

It goes something like this:

unless Object.const_defined?(class_name)
Object.const_set(class_name, Class.new(MyBaseClass) do

# define a method, that will apply to all
# generated classes.
def foo() 'foo' end

end)

Is there a way of making foo a class method without resorting to eval?

Adelle.

2 Answers

Florian Gross

Adelle Hartley wrote:

> I have a routine that creates classes based on data retrieved from a
> database.
>
> It goes something like this:
>
> unless Object.const_defined?(class_name)
> Object.const_set(class_name, Class.new(MyBaseClass) do
>
> # define a method, that will apply to all
> # generated classes.
> def foo() 'foo' end
>
> end)
>
> Is there a way of making foo a class method without resorting to eval?

def self.foo() 'foo' end

Adelle Hartley

Hi Florian,

> > Is there a way of making foo a class method without
> resorting to eval?
>
> def self.foo() 'foo' end

Woohoo! That was easy! Thanks.

Adelle.