Paul Graham recommends Ruby

Joe Van Dyk

3/19/2005 2:55:00 AM

Paul wrote an article about his recommendations for current
undergraduate C.S. students. And plugs Ruby while he's at it.

http://paulgraham.com/co...

"... What you should learn to get a job depends on the kind you want.
If you want to work in a big company, learn how to hack Blub on
Windows. If you want to work at a cool little company or research lab,
you'll do better to learn Ruby on Linux. And if you want to start your
own company, which I think will be more and more common, master the
most powerful tools you can find, because you're going to be in a race
against your competitors, and they'll be your horse.... "

92 Answers

Premshree Pillai

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:54:41 +0900, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul wrote an article about his recommendations for current
> undergraduate C.S. students. And plugs Ruby while he's at it.
>
> http://paulgraham.com/co...
>
> "... What you should learn to get a job depends on the kind you want.
> If you want to work in a big company, learn how to hack Blub on
> Windows. If you want to work at a cool little company or research lab,
> you'll do better to learn Ruby on Linux. And if you want to start your

I don't think he "recommends Ruby". He probably means something to the
effect of "use a dynamic language like Python, or Ruby".

As much as all of us would like Mr. Graham to "recommend" Ruby, I
think it's for the better if we don't draw conclusions.

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/users/...

Joao Pedrosa

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:57:10 +0900, Premshree Pillai
<premshree.pillai@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:54:41 +0900, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Paul wrote an article about his recommendations for current
> > undergraduate C.S. students. And plugs Ruby while he's at it.
> >
> > http://paulgraham.com/co...
> >
> > "... What you should learn to get a job depends on the kind you want.
> > If you want to work in a big company, learn how to hack Blub on
> > Windows. If you want to work at a cool little company or research lab,
> > you'll do better to learn Ruby on Linux. And if you want to start your
>
> I don't think he "recommends Ruby". He probably means something to the
> effect of "use a dynamic language like Python, or Ruby".
>
> As much as all of us would like Mr. Graham to "recommend" Ruby, I
> think it's for the better if we don't draw conclusions.

My take is that he sees Ruby as a good medium to delivering some good
results, because since some articles ago by him, he has mentioned
Ruby, together with other languages. But in this particular article,
"college.html", he mentioned Ruby alone, because in the context of
small companies and research labs, Ruby has more probability of being
used, while Perl and Python feature in bigger companies already.

It's like the Nasdaq -- some indices go down and up, depending on the
trend. :-) But these indices are kind of irrelevant to the majority of
the people.

The Perl and Python people can keep ignoring Ruby, till the trend
changes really big. :-)

Cheers,
Joao

vruz

[snip]
> > Paul wrote an article about his recommendations for current
> > undergraduate C.S. students. And plugs Ruby while he's at it.
> >
> > http://paulgraham.com/co...
> >
> > "... What you should learn to get a job depends on the kind you want.
> > If you want to work in a big company, learn how to hack Blub on
> > Windows. If you want to work at a cool little company or research lab,
> > you'll do better to learn Ruby on Linux. And if you want to start your
>
> I don't think he "recommends Ruby". He probably means something to the
> effect of "use a dynamic language like Python, or Ruby".
>
> As much as all of us would like Mr. Graham to "recommend" Ruby, I
> think it's for the better if we don't draw conclusions.

Are you arguing about the use of the verb 'to recommend' ?
or else, how do you come to the conclusion that he didn't really mean
exactly Ruby, but Ruby or something else when he has explicitly named
Ruby on Linux ?

I think Graham knows well a number of programming languages, and could
have been explicit about them had he wanted to do so.

IMHO it's for the better if we don't draw conclusions about certain
reptiles when Graham hasn't mentioned any in the entire essay.

Premshree Pillai

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:21:08 +0900, vruz <horacio.lopez@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Paul wrote an article about his recommendations for current
> > > undergraduate C.S. students. And plugs Ruby while he's at it.
> > >
> > > http://paulgraham.com/co...
> > >
> > > "... What you should learn to get a job depends on the kind you want.
> > > If you want to work in a big company, learn how to hack Blub on
> > > Windows. If you want to work at a cool little company or research lab,
> > > you'll do better to learn Ruby on Linux. And if you want to start your
> >
> > I don't think he "recommends Ruby". He probably means something to the
> > effect of "use a dynamic language like Python, or Ruby".
> >
> > As much as all of us would like Mr. Graham to "recommend" Ruby, I
> > think it's for the better if we don't draw conclusions.
>
> Are you arguing about the use of the verb 'to recommend' ?
> or else, how do you come to the conclusion that he didn't really mean
> exactly Ruby, but Ruby or something else when he has explicitly named
> Ruby on Linux ?

Well, I was taking the phrase into context -- "Ruby on Linux". He
probably used that as a specific instance of "[cool dynamic language
here] on *nix".

> I think Graham knows well a number of programming languages, and could
> have been explicit about them had he wanted to do so.
>
> IMHO it's for the better if we don't draw conclusions about certain
> reptiles when Graham hasn't mentioned any in the entire essay.

:-)

--

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:11:59 +0900, Joao Pedrosa <joaopedrosa@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's like the Nasdaq -- some indices go down and up, depending on the
> trend. :-) But these indices are kind of irrelevant to the majority of

Heh. But we could always use name dropping. :-)

> the people.
>
> The Perl and Python people can keep ignoring Ruby, till the trend

I don't think others are _still_ ignoring Ruby. Larry Wall after all
does talk about it.

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/users/...

Wai-Sun Chia

Premshree Pillai wrote:

>>Are you arguing about the use of the verb 'to recommend' ?
>>or else, how do you come to the conclusion that he didn't really mean
>>exactly Ruby, but Ruby or something else when he has explicitly named
>>Ruby on Linux ?
>

> Well, I was taking the phrase into context -- "Ruby on Linux". He
> probably used that as a specific instance of "[cool dynamic language
> here] on *nix".

I agree. He explicitly stated "Ruby on Linux".

If going by your logic, of "[cool dynamic language here] on *nix"", I
don't think he'd have meant Tcl on Dynix[1]??? Or Lua on QNX?

The context that he was trying to bring it in is either a small R&D, SME
or startup company with small budgets.

Ruby is relevant for product-to-market-speed (dynamic, OO, etc.), and
Linux is probably due to the fact that it runs well on commodity (read
cheap) Intel/AMD hardware.

p.s. anybody else remember what this is? :-)

/wai-sun

Premshree Pillai

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:31:46 +0900, Wai-Sun Chia <waisun.chia@hp.com> wrote:
> I agree. He explicitly stated "Ruby on Linux".
>
> If going by your logic, of "[cool dynamic language here] on *nix"", I
> don't think he'd have meant Tcl on Dynix[1]??? Or Lua on QNX?

TCL definitely doesn't qualify as a "cool dynamic language". :-)

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/users/...

gabriele renzi

Premshree Pillai ha scritto:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:31:46 +0900, Wai-Sun Chia <waisun.chia@hp.com> wrote:
>
>>I agree. He explicitly stated "Ruby on Linux".
>>
>>If going by your logic, of "[cool dynamic language here] on *nix"", I
>>don't think he'd have meant Tcl on Dynix[1]??? Or Lua on QNX?
>

> TCL definitely doesn't qualify as a "cool dynamic language". :-)

you're underestimating tcl, it is a *strange* language but it is in the
end a powerful one, being homoiconic and such..
I can say tcl will see, in the third quarter of 2005, a grow in momentum
when it gets to the market.

Ok, I'm becoming addicted to this:
http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/market.html...

Christian Neukirchen

Premshree Pillai <premshree.pillai@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:54:41 +0900, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul wrote an article about his recommendations for current
>> undergraduate C.S. students. And plugs Ruby while he's at it.
>>
>> http://paulgraham.com/co...
>>
>> "... What you should learn to get a job depends on the kind you want.
>> If you want to work in a big company, learn how to hack Blub on
>> Windows. If you want to work at a cool little company or research lab,
>> you'll do better to learn Ruby on Linux. And if you want to start your
>
> I don't think he "recommends Ruby". He probably means something to the
> effect of "use a dynamic language like Python, or Ruby".

Yeah, but Python 3000 won't have lisp stuff anymore, didn't you read
that? How could PG ever advertise that? :) *eg*

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Glenn Parker

gabriele renzi wrote:

> Ok, I'm becoming addicted to this:
> http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/market.html...

Cool! You can put your money where your keyboard is.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...