[ANN] Getting Started with Orbjson tutorial

James Britt

3/15/2005 12:41:00 AM

I wrote a tutorial on using the Orbjson library to create Web
applications with XmlHttpRequest + JSON-RPC.

http://orbjson.rubyforge.org...

Comments welcome, probably best sent directly to me rather than the list

James Britt

11 Answers

vruz

> I wrote a tutorial on using the Orbjson library to create Web
> applications with XmlHttpRequest + JSON-RPC.
> http://orbjson.rubyforge.org...
> Comments welcome, probably best sent directly to me rather than the list

This is great, anything that makes it less painful to use javascript
(or entirely avoid direct contact with it) is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
vruz

James Britt

vruz wrote:
>>I wrote a tutorial on using the Orbjson library to create Web
>>applications with XmlHttpRequest + JSON-RPC.
>>http://orbjson.rubyforge.org...
>>Comments welcome, probably best sent directly to me rather than the list
>>

> This is great, anything that makes it less painful to use javascript
> (or entirely avoid direct contact with it) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. BTW, I *like* JavaScript. It has Rubyesque qualities.

Really.

James

PS

I have to update the gem, as I just realized my tutorial is based on
code only available in the devel version (AKA CVS tree). Should happen
shortly. Current gem (0.0.3) does not have the asynch JavaScript stuff.

vruz

> PS
>
> I have to update the gem, as I just realized my tutorial is based on
> code only available in the devel version (AKA CVS tree). Should happen
> shortly. Current gem (0.0.3) does not have the asynch JavaScript stuff.

how about a unix-friendly tarball, or a windows-friendly zip file, for
the gemless out there ?
:-)

thank you,
vruz

vruz

> Thanks. BTW, I *like* JavaScript. It has Rubyesque qualities.
> Really.
> James

I can appreciate prototype-based languages like Self, and to be fair,
Javascript the language as defined originally is not a bad thing by
itself.

I'm probably blinded by the horrible perception provoked by years of
quirky implementations running on a browser tied to varying flavours
of DOM.

It was probably just the pain :-)

James Britt

vruz wrote:
>>PS
>>
>>I have to update the gem, as I just realized my tutorial is based on
>>code only available in the devel version (AKA CVS tree). Should happen
>>shortly. Current gem (0.0.3) does not have the asynch JavaScript stuff.
>>

> how about a unix-friendly tarball, or a windows-friendly zip file, for
> the gemless out there ?

They are there, along with the gem. I just haven't glommed an installer
script for the raw-source versions. The ambitious can probably just
copy over the lib files to get things rolling, but there is also a
command line script that set up a skeleton app. The gem stuff works its
magic on that part, which so sweet my teeth hurt.

Any pointers to writing or stealing a good install.rb are welcome.

James

vruz

> > how about a unix-friendly tarball, or a windows-friendly zip file, for
> > the gemless out there ?
>
> They are there, along with the gem. I just haven't glommed an installer
> script for the raw-source versions.

great, thank you

> Any pointers to writing or stealing a good install.rb are welcome.

This helped me to get started:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?QuickGuideT...

cheers,
vruz

James Britt

vruz wrote:
> This helped me to get started:
>
> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?QuickGuideT...

Ah, yes, thanks!

James

Curt Hibbs

James Britt wrote:

> vruz wrote:
> >>I wrote a tutorial on using the Orbjson library to create Web
> >>applications with XmlHttpRequest + JSON-RPC.
> >>http://orbjson.rubyforge.org...
> >>Comments welcome, probably best sent directly to me rather than the list
> >>

> > This is great, anything that makes it less painful to use javascript
> > (or entirely avoid direct contact with it) is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks. BTW, I *like* JavaScript. It has Rubyesque qualities.
>
> Really.

I agree. In fact it was my positive experiences with JavaScript that
attracted me to Ruby. In fact, about 10 years ago I wrote something very
similar to ActiveRecord in JavaScript. JavaScript is very dynamic, but its
just not as elegant as Ruby.

Curt

Nick Woolley

Hello,

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I agree. In fact it was my positive experiences with JavaScript that
> attracted me to Ruby.

I've had positively *painful* experiences with ActionScript (a variety
of ECMAscript). The main pain was in the debugging of small errors,
often introduced during refactoring. A misspelt variable comes to life
like a gremlin and things break mysteriously. Add to this ActionScripts
byzantine scoping rules (which Javascript may lack). Tracking it down
requires binary-search style debug prints, and wasted so much of my time
I was tearing my hair out.

In fact one of the things which worries me a bit about Ruby, as a
newcomer, is that instance variables come to life in the same way - no
variable declarations.

I'm curious if you liked JavaScript despite that, or if you found a way
around it? Likewise, is autovivification an issue in Ruby I should
beware of?

Nick

dblack