Re: Help a newbie pick a gui tool kit

Enrico Schwass

3/12/2005 1:07:00 PM

Hello

>So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
>Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
>I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
>GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
>I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
>know what I am talking about:)
>
>What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?

I suggest the tk-library. The bindings are already included. (ext/tk)
Look at www.scriptics.com or www.tcltk.com
Its cross platform and there is a lot of documentation available.

ciao
Enno

3 Answers

Tom Willis

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:07:28 +0900, Enrico Schwass <deckard73@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello
>
> >So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> >Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
> >
> >I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> >GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
> >
> >I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> >know what I am talking about:)
> >
> >What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
>
> I suggest the tk-library. The bindings are already included. (ext/tk)
> Look at www.scriptics.com or www.tcltk.com
> Its cross platform and there is a lot of documentation available.
>
> ciao
> Enno

I like the wxWindows toolkit at least in Python. Haven't tried it in
ruby yet, but here's a link.

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...

A brief look at the examples and it looks like the bindings look a lot
more rubyish. Pythons bindings made me feel like I was interfacing to
an external library rather than writing in the language manipulating
objects etc.

Unforunately I can't get it installed quickly to come up with a more
informed critique.
Why does Debian hate ruby? :(
--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbac...

Nick

> Unforunately I can't get it installed quickly to come up with a more
> informed critique.
> Why does Debian hate ruby? :(

What problems did you have building it?

Nick

Tom Willis wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:07:28 +0900, Enrico Schwass <deckard73@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>> >So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
>> >Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>> >
>> >I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
>> >GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>> >
>> >I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
>> >know what I am talking about:)
>> >
>> >What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
>>
>>I suggest the tk-library. The bindings are already included. (ext/tk)
>>Look at www.scriptics.com or www.tcltk.com
>>Its cross platform and there is a lot of documentation available.
>>
>>ciao
>>Enno
>>

> I like the wxWindows toolkit at least in Python. Haven't tried it in
> ruby yet, but here's a link.
>
> http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...
>
> A brief look at the examples and it looks like the bindings look a lot
> more rubyish. Pythons bindings made me feel like I was interfacing to
> an external library rather than writing in the language manipulating
> objects etc.
>

> Unforunately I can't get it installed quickly to come up with a more
> informed critique.
> Why does Debian hate ruby? :(

Tom Willis

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:38:37 +0900, Nick <devel@nicreations.com> wrote:
> > Unforunately I can't get it installed quickly to come up with a more
> > informed critique.
> > Why does Debian hate ruby? :(
>
> What problems did you have building it?
>
> Nick
>

> Tom Willis wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:07:28 +0900, Enrico Schwass <deckard73@freenet.de> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello

> >>I suggest the tk-library. The bindings are already included. (ext/tk)
> >>Look at www.scriptics.com or www.tcltk.com
> >>Its cross platform and there is a lot of documentation available.
> >>
> >>ciao
> >>Enno
> >>

> > I like the wxWindows toolkit at least in Python. Haven't tried it in
> > ruby yet, but here's a link.
> >
> > http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...
> >
> > A brief look at the examples and it looks like the bindings look a lot
> > more rubyish. Pythons bindings made me feel like I was interfacing to
> > an external library rather than writing in the language manipulating
> > objects etc.
> >

> > Unforunately I can't get it installed quickly to come up with a more
> > informed critique.
> > Why does Debian hate ruby? :(

well it seemed I didn't have the development libs for wxWindows. I was
getting an error that wx-config command not found. I also didn't have
the ruby dev libs.

So I got it to build. But I was hoping for a *.deb to be out there somewhere.

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbac...