Help a newbie pick a gui tool kit

Dennis Roberts

3/12/2005 6:28:00 AM

So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.

I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
GUI toolkit to make it better looking.

I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
know what I am talking about:)

What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?

37 Answers

Simon Strandgaard

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <denrober@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.

Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.

> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> know what I am talking about:)
>
> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?

If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
distributed with the Ruby installer.

http://www.f...

Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).

--
Simon Strandgaard

Bill Guindon

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <denrober@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> know what I am talking about:)
>
> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?

These may help:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingG...
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingG.../TakeTwo
http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?GUIFrameworkProject/GUI...

I haven't used one yet, but based on what I read in the comparisons,
I'm leaning towards Wx.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Richard Lyman

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:56:57 +0900, Derek Wyatt <tone_hole@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> |>I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> |>GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
> |>
> |>I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> |>know what I am talking about:)
> |>
> |>What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
> |

> | If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
> | distributed with the Ruby installer.
> |
> | http://www.f...
> |
> | Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).
>
> I tried FXRuby as my first ruby GUI toolkit and immediately
> i hit problems. Just making a plain window wasn't working
> right. All of the bits you set to get borders, menus, etc
> weren't working.
>
> I would recommend starting with WX or GTK2. I haven't had
> much experience in these kits yet, but my experienc with
> FXRuby was horrid. I just wanted to find out how well the
> GUI part would work but haven't gotten heavily into it, so
> whatever experience you obtain, i would like to know how you
> made out.
>
> Regs,
> Derek

I'm not sure what exactly wasn't working for you - but my experience
with FXRuby was every bit as 'joyful' as my experience with Ruby.

The links to the comparisons that someone else gave you are a good
starting place. Asking people on this list what you should use will
result in what has resulted - everybody finds one that they like and
that fits their needs, and they recommend it. Nothin' wrong with that,
just don't expect to get a definitive answer from a bunch of personal
opinions. :-)

-Rich

ES

On Sat, March 12, 2005 10:05 am, Simon Strandgaard said:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <denrober@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
>> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
> Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
> and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.
>

>> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
>> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>>
>> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
>> know what I am talking about:)
>>
>> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
>
> If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
> distributed with the Ruby installer.
>
> http://www.f...
>
> Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).

This was a brief topic on #ruby-lang, too. My vote goes for FOX, as well,
although Wx has the advantage of using native widgets. FLTK looks promising
but may not be feature-rich enough as yet.

> Simon Strandgaard

Dennis Roberts

Thanks for everyones input. I will check out the links provided.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:27:29 -0800, Dennis Roberts <denrober@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
> I then decided to do it again in Ruby. I was thinking I could use a
> GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>
> I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish. Or perhaps I don't
> know what I am talking about:)
>
> What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?

Brian Schröder

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:05:20 +0900, Simon Strandgaard <neoneye@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <denrober@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> > Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>
> Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
> and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.

To impress your wife if she is no programmer herself, best use Flash,
don't program a line but make the words "I love you" fly blinking
along the screen and form a heart afterwards. Sounds silly, is silly
but shurely works better than the nicest, most impressive and best
designed library/application ever written

;)

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

Tom Willis

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:41:10 +0900, Brian Schröder <ruby.brian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:05:20 +0900, Simon Strandgaard <neoneye@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:27:43 +0900, Dennis Roberts <denrober@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So I am still learning Ruby. I am also learning C. I just did
> > > Conways Game of Life in C. I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
> >
> > Welcome to Ruby. I have tried the same, showing some thing I made
> > and get the same reaction. I don't know any longer what it takes to impress.
> >

> To impress your wife if she is no programmer herself, best use Flash,
> don't program a line but make the words "I love you" fly blinking
> along the screen and form a heart afterwards. Sounds silly, is silly
> but shurely works better than the nicest, most impressive and best
> designed library/application ever written
>
> ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Schröder
> http://ruby.brian-sch...

In the case of mine, I'd have to program a first person shooter that
is as every bit as fun as Quake 3 Arena in ruby. ;)

Needless to say I've given up.....

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbac...

Dennis Roberts

Well fltk looks the coolest. I love the examples. Unfortunatly it
hasn't been touched since 2002 and I can't even get it to compile:(

Douglas Livingstone

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:01:31 +0900, Tom Willis <tom.willis@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the case of mine, I'd have to program a first person shooter that
> is as every bit as fun as Quake 3 Arena in ruby. ;)

Actually, how easy is OpenGL to use in ruby? I remember seeing some
examples a while back, but never took a close look at the code. A nice
API for making Ruby apps with an OpenGL UI would be cool :)

Douglas

Joe Van Dyk

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:37:22 +0900, Douglas Livingstone
<rampant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:01:31 +0900, Tom Willis <tom.willis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In the case of mine, I'd have to program a first person shooter that
> > is as every bit as fun as Quake 3 Arena in ruby. ;)
> >

> Actually, how easy is OpenGL to use in ruby? I remember seeing some
> examples a while back, but never took a close look at the code. A nice
> API for making Ruby apps with an OpenGL UI would be cool :)
>
> Douglas

OpenGL is very easy to use. I don't think that GLUT works all that
great with Ruby, although I did see it work once.

But you'd need to find a UI toolkit to use with OpenGL though. GTK2 is great.