Re: nonblock extension for win32?

Berger, Daniel

3/11/2005 8:13:00 PM

It was never released as a separate package on the RAA. It was a patch
provided by Jean-Francois Nadeau. See ruby-core:3154.

I believe it was merged into CVS already. So, you can either try
building the latest CVS version, or manually apply that patch and
rebuild.

At least, I *think* this patch will fix your problem.

Regards,

Dan

3 Answers

Bill Kelly

From: "Berger, Daniel" <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com>

> > From: Bill Kelly [mailto:billk@cts.com]
> >
> > I recall reading that an extension was available for
> > win32 to provide nonblocking IO support. I've searched
> > RAA but nothing turned up that sounded quite like what
> > I thought I remembered reading about.
> >
> > Is there such a beast? Does it work with pipes?
>
> It was never released as a separate package on the RAA. It was a patch
> provided by Jean-Francois Nadeau. See ruby-core:3154.
>
> I believe it was merged into CVS already. So, you can either try
> building the latest CVS version, or manually apply that patch and
> rebuild.

Thanks, . . . Hmm, it seems the last message in the thread
is from Jean-Francois, asking, "What's the status of this patch?"

In any case it *appears* to be a patch that works only for
sockets (which is also useful to me) but not for pipes.

Grrrrr.......... DAMN YOU BILL GATES !!!!!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!!!

Uh, anyway.... :-/

There must be *some* way to do a non-blocking pipe read
on windows...??? (I saw Nobu's io-wait module on RAA,
that would add a #ready? method. Even that might help;
although I don't know if io-wait works on Windows or not.
The download link seems to be broken...)

...I guess I can redesign these parts of my app to use
sockets instead of pipes... It seems to be either that
or hire a small army and find a time machine and go back
to 1980 and force M$FT to adopt a non-crappy kernel
design?

BTW - any win32 gurus know if it's *theoretically* possible
to do a non-blocking pipe read, i.e. on file handle returned
by popen(), even if ruby doesn't support it?

Thanks,

Bill

Android Cat

eddieVroom wrote:
> cultxpt wrote:
>> On Jan 30, 11:02 pm, fr...@skeptictank.org (Friendly Xenu) wrote:
>>> I hope that some people participating in the Feb 10'th "raids"
>>> will use blank protest signs. That really disturbed the clams
>>> when ARSCC used it.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> "Don't break your back scrubbing floors. Get yourself a nigger,
>>> that's what they were born for." -- L. Ron Hubbard, in a letter to his
>>> 2nd
>>> wifehttp://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,972865,00....
>>
>> Should they hand out blank flyers too?
>
> add Blank Stares.
>
> Trifecta!

Blank Reg approves!
http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/WilliamMorganSheppard_MaxHe...

--
Ron of that ilk.

frice

cultxpt <cultxpt@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 30, 11:02=A0pm, fr...@skeptictank.org (Friendly Xenu) wrote:
>> I hope that some people participating in the Feb 10'th "raids"
>> will use blank protest signs. =A0That really disturbed the clams
>> when ARSCC used it.
>Should they hand out blank flyers too?

}:-} Only to Scientology customers.

---