Re: [OT] Tiny URLs

Berger, Daniel

3/10/2005 4:20:00 PM

On that note, I thought there was a Ruby equivalent to the WWW::Shorten
Perl modules, but I can't find anything on the RAA at the moment.

Would you be opposed to a URL::Shorten::Enigo package? Is there an
underlying web service, or would you just use form submission? And
would you mind the potential traffic?

Regards,

Dan

1 Answer

khaines

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:19:54 +0900, Berger, Daniel wrote

> On that note, I thought there was a Ruby equivalent to the WWW::Shorten
> Perl modules, but I can't find anything on the RAA at the moment.
>
> Would you be opposed to a URL::Shorten::Enigo package? Is there an
> underlying web service, or would you just use form submission? And
> would you mind the potential traffic?

I would not be opposed at all. The algorithm that I use is very simple, and
the whole thing is just a tiny little IOWA app. Right now there is just a
form based interface, but it'd be no problem to provide a web service
interface of some sort, too.

And I'd only mind the potential traffic if it became crippling. :) Right now
I seem to average around 1k hits a month on it, so I just ignore it. If I
need to pay attention to it, I'll convert it to FCGI + IOWA and put a
different (i.e. simpler) layout around it and I should be able to stand quite
a bit of traffic.

Kirk Haines