Fwd: Ruby Central 2005 Codefest Grant recipients

James Gray

3/9/2005 11:29:00 PM

(from the newsgroup)

Begin forwarded message:

> From: gabriele renzi
> Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:48:07 GMT
> Subject: Re: [ANN] Ruby Central 2005 Codefest Grant recipients
>
> David A. Black ha scritto:
>> 3. Gambit (James Edward Gray II)
>>
>> Gambit is pure Ruby framework for building multiplayer Web games
>> offering two key services: Game management and design tools. Gambit
>> can manage player's accounts, game hosting and joining, player
>> histories, in-game communication systems and out-of-game notifications
>> for in-game activities.
>
> I think a different name would be better, to avoid name collision with
> gambit scheme[1].
> Actually, I read about this project here and on rubyforge and both
> times
> I thought "cool, a module to compile ruby using the gambit scheme
> implementation!"
>
> [1]http://www.iro.umontreal.c...

I thank you for bringing this to my attention, but as near as I can
tell, this has nothing to do with Ruby or Ruby libraries. I think
ruling all non-Ruby names out of our choices would be a disservice to
our users.

Plus, as a tournament chess player, "Gambit" makes a lot more sense to
me in this instance than the one you point out. (No offense intended.)

So, I would prefer not to change. I consider the name to be well
chosen (we debated our options for some time) and this conflict seems
vague to me. Of course, if this message earns me a lot of hate mail,
I'll reconsider. ;)

James Edward Gray II

1 Answer

gabriele renzi

James Edward Gray II ha scritto:

> I thank you for bringing this to my attention, but as near as I can
> tell, this has nothing to do with Ruby or Ruby libraries. I think
> ruling all non-Ruby names out of our choices would be a disservice to
> our users.
>
> Plus, as a tournament chess player, "Gambit" makes a lot more sense to
> me in this instance than the one you point out. (No offense intended.)
>
> So, I would prefer not to change. I consider the name to be well chosen
> (we debated our options for some time) and this conflict seems vague to
> me. Of course, if this message earns me a lot of hate mail, I'll
> reconsider. ;)

this time I'll write them but keep from sending :)
Seriously, I understand your point, thanks for your answer.