[OT] pugs

Martin DeMello

3/5/2005 8:32:00 PM

http://pug...

Pugs is a project to implement the Perl6 spec in Haskell. From their
FAQ:

Why did you choose Haskell?

Many Perl 6 features have similar counterparts in Haskell: Perl 6 Rules
corresponds closely to Parsec; lazy list evaluation is common in both
languages; continuation support can be modeled with the ContT monad
transformer, and so on. This greatly simplified the prototyping effort:
the first working interpreter was released within the first week, and by
the third week we have a full-fledged Test.pm module for unit testing.

The ultimate aim is to bootstrap a self-hosting perl6 implementation.
Interesting stuff - well worth a look.

martin

6 Answers

Daniel Berger

Martin DeMello wrote:
> http://pug...
>
> Pugs is a project to implement the Perl6 spec in Haskell. From their
> FAQ:
>
> Why did you choose Haskell?
>
> Many Perl 6 features have similar counterparts in Haskell: Perl 6
Rules
> corresponds closely to Parsec; lazy list evaluation is common in
both
> languages; continuation support can be modeled with the ContT monad
> transformer, and so on. This greatly simplified the prototyping
effort:
> the first working interpreter was released within the first week,
and by
> the third week we have a full-fledged Test.pm module for unit
testing.

> The ultimate aim is to bootstrap a self-hosting perl6 implementation.
> Interesting stuff - well worth a look.
>
> martin

An interesting academic exercise. However, one of the things I like
about Ruby is that I can read and (usually) understand the underlying
source code. That allows me to submit patches when I find a bug.

Many folks know C. Relatively few know Haskell. Better hope there
aren't any bugs. :)

Regards,

Dan

Martin DeMello

djberg96@gmail.com wrote:

> An interesting academic exercise. However, one of the things I like
> about Ruby is that I can read and (usually) understand the underlying
> source code. That allows me to submit patches when I find a bug.
>
> Many folks know C. Relatively few know Haskell. Better hope there
> aren't any bugs. :)

Hey - Haskell's a neat language :) It'd be an incentive to learn it if
nothing else.

martin

Shashank Date

Martin DeMello wrote:
> djberg96@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>An interesting academic exercise. However, one of the things I like
>>about Ruby is that I can read and (usually) understand the underlying
>>source code. That allows me to submit patches when I find a bug.
>>
>>Many folks know C. Relatively few know Haskell. Better hope there
>>aren't any bugs. :)
>

> Hey - Haskell's a neat language :) It'd be an incentive to learn it if
> nothing else.

+1

> martin
-- shanko

Csaba Henk

On 2005-03-05, Martin DeMello <martindemello@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://pug...
>
> Pugs is a project to implement the Perl6 spec in Haskell. From their

Once I bumped into it. What they want to implement, Isn't it just the
functional fragment of perl6?

Csaba

Csaba Henk

On 2005-03-05, djberg96@gmail.com <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> An interesting academic exercise. However, one of the things I like
> about Ruby is that I can read and (usually) understand the underlying
> source code. That allows me to submit patches when I find a bug.
>
> Many folks know C. Relatively few know Haskell. Better hope there
> aren't any bugs. :)

Maybe more people can report if the interpreter is written in C;
however, if the interpreter is written in Haskell, no need of
error-catching eyes for memory leaks and buffer overflows...

Maybe less people are competent for bug reporting; on the other hand,
a higher-level language can make core development much more easy and
fast. Ignorance as an argument doens't take you anywhere.

I think it's a good choice to use a compiled language which is higher
level than C (unless this makes performance dropping by magnitudes,
which I think is avoidable). I don't buy the "exotic languages suck"
argument. Would I use ruby otherwise? :)

Read some Paul Graham :)

Csaba

Daniel Berger

Martin DeMello wrote:
> djberg96@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > An interesting academic exercise. However, one of the things I
like
> > about Ruby is that I can read and (usually) understand the
underlying
> > source code. That allows me to submit patches when I find a bug.
> >
> > Many folks know C. Relatively few know Haskell. Better hope there
> > aren't any bugs. :)
>
> Hey - Haskell's a neat language :) It'd be an incentive to learn it
if
> nothing else.
>
> martin

No. If someone wrote a Ruby spec in Haskell, THAT would be an
incentive. :)

Dan