gem can't connect on Windows

Matthias Luedtke

3/4/2005 1:37:00 PM

Hi all

I'm trying to install rails on my Windows box. I'm using the newest
one-click installer version of Ruby.

E:\>gem install rails --remote

E:\>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ECONNREFUSED)
Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer
die Verbi
ndung verweigerte. - connect(2)

The last message is in german an means "Cannot establish connection.
Connection refused by destination host."

Although my computer is connected to the Inet via NAT all programs I use
work seamlessly. A personal firewall is not installed. Can anybody give
me any hints where/how to search for a solution to this? Are there any
configuration options for ruby networking that I have to change,
perhaps? TIA!

Greets,
Matthias
3 Answers

Glenn Smith

Matthias Luedtke wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to install rails on my Windows box. I'm using the newest
> one-click installer version of Ruby.
>
> E:\>gem install rails --remote
>
> E:\>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ECONNREFUSED)
> Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer
> die Verbi
> ndung verweigerte. - connect(2)
>
> The last message is in german an means "Cannot establish connection.
> Connection refused by destination host."
>
> Although my computer is connected to the Inet via NAT all programs I use
> work seamlessly. A personal firewall is not installed. Can anybody give
> me any hints where/how to search for a solution to this? Are there any
> configuration options for ruby networking that I have to change,
> perhaps? TIA!
>
> Greets,
> Matthias

If you are behind a proxy server, try adding:

-p http://<ipaddress>:<port>

where ipaddress:port is the ip/port of your proxy server

Matthias Luedtke

Glenn Smith wrote:
> Matthias Luedtke wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to install rails on my Windows box. I'm using the newest
>> one-click installer version of Ruby.
>>
>> E:\>gem install rails --remote
>>
>> E:\>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
>> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
>> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ECONNREFUSED)
>> Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer
>> die Verbi
>> ndung verweigerte. - connect(2)
>>
>> The last message is in german an means "Cannot establish connection.
>> Connection refused by destination host."
>>
>> Although my computer is connected to the Inet via NAT all programs I
>> use work seamlessly. A personal firewall is not installed. Can anybody
>> give me any hints where/how to search for a solution to this? Are
>> there any configuration options for ruby networking that I have to
>> change, perhaps? TIA!
>>
>> Greets,
>> Matthias
>

> If you are behind a proxy server, try adding:

Not exactly that, but I forgot that I edited my InternetExplorer
settings to use localhost:9 as a proxy in order to prevent him from
getting out...

> -p http://<ipaddress>:<port>
>
> where ipaddress:port is the ip/port of your proxy server

....so that solution in fact did it. Thank you!

Matthias

Glenn Smith

Matthias Luedtke wrote:
> Glenn Smith wrote:
>
>> Matthias Luedtke wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install rails on my Windows box. I'm using the newest
>>> one-click installer version of Ruby.
>>>
>>> E:\>gem install rails --remote
>>>
>>> E:\>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
>>> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
>>> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
>>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ECONNREFUSED)
>>> Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der
>>> Zielcomputer die Verbi
>>> ndung verweigerte. - connect(2)
>>>
>>> The last message is in german an means "Cannot establish connection.
>>> Connection refused by destination host."
>>>
>>> Although my computer is connected to the Inet via NAT all programs I
>>> use work seamlessly. A personal firewall is not installed. Can
>>> anybody give me any hints where/how to search for a solution to this?
>>> Are there any configuration options for ruby networking that I have
>>> to change, perhaps? TIA!
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Matthias
>>

>> If you are behind a proxy server, try adding:
>

> Not exactly that, but I forgot that I edited my InternetExplorer
> settings to use localhost:9 as a proxy in order to prevent him from
> getting out...
>
>> -p http://<ipaddress>:<port>
>>
>> where ipaddress:port is the ip/port of your proxy server
>

> ...so that solution in fact did it. Thank you!
>
> Matthias

Be proud - that's my first "solution" (ie. not "question") posted to
comp.lang.ruby :o)

G - an improving newbie !