Anyone writing Ruby scripts for Slony-1?

Alan Garrison

3/2/2005 6:11:00 PM

Slony (http://...) is an asynchronous replication+failover
package for PostgreSQL. It comes with a number of Perl scripts for
command line tasks and interaction with the replication daemon. I was
thinking about writing my own set in Ruby and was wondering if anyone
else out there is already doing this. The current Perl scripts appear
okay (functionally), but .... well, Perl. ;) I've got a few ideas on
top of simply re-doing the current scripts but I'm also a "nuby" so I'll
be slow to hack. If anyone else is interested then perhaps we can
collaborate via rubyforge or something.

--
Alan Garrison
Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronos...

2 Answers

Werner Bohl

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 03:11 +0900, Alan Garrison wrote:
> Slony (http://...) is an asynchronous replication+failover
> package for PostgreSQL. It comes with a number of Perl scripts for
> command line tasks and interaction with the replication daemon. I was
> thinking about writing my own set in Ruby and was wondering if anyone
> else out there is already doing this. The current Perl scripts appear
> okay (functionally), but .... well, Perl. ;) I've got a few ideas on
> top of simply re-doing the current scripts but I'm also a "nuby" so I'll
> be slow to hack. If anyone else is interested then perhaps we can
> collaborate via rubyforge or something.

I'm interested in collaborating in this proyect. We will need to use
Slony in the near future and I really do not like Perl at all.

--
Werner Bohl <WernerBohl@infutor.com>
IDS de Costa Rica S.A.

Aredridel

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 03:22:29 +0900, Werner Bohl <WernerBohl@infutor.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 03:11 +0900, Alan Garrison wrote:
> > Slony (http://...) is an asynchronous replication+failover
> > package for PostgreSQL. It comes with a number of Perl scripts for
> > command line tasks and interaction with the replication daemon. I was
> > thinking about writing my own set in Ruby and was wondering if anyone
> > else out there is already doing this. The current Perl scripts appear
> > okay (functionally), but .... well, Perl. ;) I've got a few ideas on
> > top of simply re-doing the current scripts but I'm also a "nuby" so I'll
> > be slow to hack. If anyone else is interested then perhaps we can
> > collaborate via rubyforge or something.
>
> I'm interested in collaborating in this proyect. We will need to use
> Slony in the near future and I really do not like Perl at all.

I'm using slony in production, and needing better ways to manage it.
I'd love to at least throw ideas at people.

Ari