nntp->mail gateway broken?

Brian Schröder

3/1/2005 9:17:00 AM

Hello,

Im on the mailing list, and I have now two times received a message
from the nntp gateway with a broken header. The virus scanner seems to
insert a sporadic newline into the header, such that the client
(gmail) thinks that the header ends there:

The interesting part of the header:

--8<----8<---

)
by lamb.sas.com (unknown) with NNTP id 127567
for <comp.lang.ruby>;
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
From: Tim Hunter <cyclists@nc.rr.com>
---8<----8<---

I hope this report is helpfull.

regards,

Brian Schröder

--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

2 Answers

Dennis Oelkers

Hello Brian,

Brian Schröder wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Im on the mailing list, and I have now two times received a message
>from the nntp gateway with a broken header. The virus scanner seems to
>insert a sporadic newline into the header, such that the client
>(gmail) thinks that the header ends there:

Yes, that's right. I was testing some additions I made to the
script mirroring comp.lang.ruby to ruby-talk, which is supposed
to generate a pseudo- (but rfc2822-compliant) Received-header
to indicate where the Usenet-posting originated.

This behaviour is recommended by SpamCop, and is needed because
of the mass of reports we are getting because SpamCop tracks down
our host as the source of the mails which were reported to them.

The strange thing is that the header of the mail I am sending out looks
sane, but it's getting mangled somewhere in transit. I did not had any
time to look into it yesterday, so I just disabled the additional header.

Kind regards,
Dennis Oelkers

djberg96

Dennis Oelkers wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> Brian Schröder wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Im on the mailing list, and I have now two times received a message
> >from the nntp gateway with a broken header. The virus scanner seems
> >insert a sporadic newline into the header, such that the client
> >(gmail) thinks that the header ends there:
> >

> Yes, that's right. I was testing some additions I made to the
> script mirroring comp.lang.ruby to ruby-talk, which is supposed
> to generate a pseudo- (but rfc2822-compliant) Received-header
> to indicate where the Usenet-posting originated.
>
> This behaviour is recommended by SpamCop, and is needed because
> of the mass of reports we are getting because SpamCop tracks down
> our host as the source of the mails which were reported to them.
>
> The strange thing is that the header of the mail I am sending out
looks
> sane, but it's getting mangled somewhere in transit. I did not had
any
> time to look into it yesterday, so I just disabled the additional
header.

> Kind regards,
> Dennis Oelkers

It appears to be broken again. I'm not seeing my posts show up on the
ML.

Regards,

Dan