Gem install Rails fails in ActionWebService

John

3/1/2005 1:50:00 AM

Following 2sheds advice on installing Rails on a Debian system,
I installed all the ruby packages and the gem package from
www.sgtpepper.net, and then "gem install rails" failed. I now
have the following. Is the published version of one of these
gems broken, or is it something about my setup?

Clifford Heath.

$ gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (0.7.0)
Service layer for easy email delivery and testing.

actionpack (1.5.0)
Web-flow and rendering framework putting the VC in MVC.

actionwebservice (0.5.0)
Web service support for Action Pack.

activerecord (1.7.0)
Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

activesupport (1.0.0)
Support and utility classes used by the Rails framework.

rake (0.4.15)
Ruby based make-like utility.

sources (0.0.1)
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

$ gem install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
uninitialized constant ActionWebService::Protocol::Soap
3 Answers

Yuu

Clifford Heath wrote:
> Following 2sheds advice on installing Rails on a Debian system,
> I installed all the ruby packages and the gem package from
> www.sgtpepper.net, and then "gem install rails" failed.

I 've installed Ruby/Gems/Rails on three different systems running
Debian. All run flawlessly. Four steps:

1) Install the Debian packages (all of them is a safe choice) for Ruby
as described in:

http://www.37signals.com/rails/wiki/RailsOnD...

basically a matter of selecting the command after "Just Run this command
to get all the ruby packages:" and pasting it in an Xterm after which
you execute it.

2) install the relevant db drivers as depicted on the same page. For
MySql execute the command:

apt-get install libmysql-ruby1.8

3) Install gems from source, you can downlod it from

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...

After untarring, install with command "ruby setup.rb" from within the
extracted directory

3) Install Rails through gem

Excecute the command: gem install rails

That's it. You should be up and running within a few minutes.

Good luck

Iwan

John

Thanks Iwan, I'll give it another try.

I have gem installed from a Debian package (sources.list line is
deb http://www.sgtpepper.net/... ./), and it seems to work
ok - but the Rails install fails. I haven't yet installed any DB
drivers, but it isn't complaining about that, but about Soap.

Clifford Heath.

John

Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:
> 1) Install the Debian packages (all of them is a safe choice) for Ruby
> as described in: http://www.37signals.com/rails/wiki/RailsOnD...

Thanks - that worked fine. I didn't have the Soap packages.

It does highlight a problem with the GEMs though - they either don't
have a complete list of dependencies or they don't check it. Is there
any systematic improvement in GEM that could be added to gather
dependencies? Something like "ruby -rtracer", but to trace just the
loaded modules and generating GEM dependencies (and checks)?

Just a thought....

Clifford Heath.