Email to rmagick working now

Tim Hunter

2/28/2005 10:59:00 PM

Hmmm...thought I had posted this but it's not showing up...

Somehow I managed to mess up my RubyForge account so that I was not
getting any email sent to rmagick at rubyforge dot org. I don't know how
long this has been broken. With Tom's help it is working now.

I apologize to everyone who sent email to rmagick and did not get a
reply. I was not intentionally ignoring you but I know it felt that way.
If you still have a question or comment please try again.
12 Answers

John Gordon

In <67a0332e-aa25-4bc6-a0b5-0f68f597b6b9@y14g2000vbb.googlegroups.com> ErichCart ErichCart <erichcart@gmail.com> writes:

> It is just that I want to better my python skills by doing this.

> I have heard about Django, can't this be done with Django?

Django does help with web content, but it doesn't (as far as I know) have
any way to do real-time.

Traditional web applications are not real-time. The user has to make a
choice and then click a Submit button in order to see results, which may
or may not be the way you want your game to operate.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you meant by "real-time".

ErichCart ErichCart

By real-time, I mean that I want it to be similar to the way instant
online chess works. Something like here: instantchess.com, but for
RISK.

I thought about making such an application, and now that I want to
practice python I thought that perhaps it can be done with python.
Now after your answers it seems like a hard task not suitable for a
beginner.

But really, I just want to make something useful with python. All I
can do now, is console programs, and that doesn't seem very user
friendly.

In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.

What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?

Grumman

On 3/4/2011 16:48, ErichCart ErichCart wrote:

> In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
> I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
> windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
> and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
> wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
> the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.
>
> What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
> Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?

You might want to look at: http://visualp...

CM

On Mar 4, 5:07 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1...@aim.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 04:48 PM, ErichCart ErichCart wrote:
>
> > In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
> > I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
> > windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
> > and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
> > wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
> > the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.
>
> > What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
> > Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?
>
> As far as I know, no tools exist to make developing desktop apps in
> Python like there do VB.

Boa Constructor is a visual GUI builder and IDE for desktop apps that
was
written to be a kind of Delphi for Python. I've used it happily for a
long
time. As the OP mentioned, it can allow visual designing of the GUI
(like placing
buttons, etc.), plus tons more. It's not actively developed anymore,
though,
and it is somewhat buggy on Linux (don't know on Mac).

CM

On Mar 4, 5:07 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1...@aim.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 04:48 PM, ErichCart ErichCart wrote:
>
> > In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
> > I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
> > windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
> > and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
> > wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
> > the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.
>
> > What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
> > Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?
>
> As far as I know, no tools exist to make developing desktop apps in
> Python like there do VB.

Boa Constructor is a visual GUI builder and IDE for desktop apps that
was written to be a kind of Delphi for Python. I've used it happily
for a long time. Like the OP mentioned, it can allow visual designing
of the GUI (like placing buttons, etc.), plus tons more. It's not
actively developed anymore, though, and it is somewhat buggy on Linux
(don't know on Mac).

CM

On Mar 4, 5:07 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1...@aim.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 04:48 PM, ErichCart ErichCart wrote:
>
> > In fact this doesn't necessary need to be web application. For example
> > I have a friend who uses Delphi, and he can create all sorts of
> > windows applications easily, like he can see the window on the screen
> > and he can place buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. wherever he
> > wants and then program the actions of each element. I was able to do
> > the same with visual basic in one of my university classes.
>
> > What do I need to know in order to be able to do the same with python?
> > Which python modules/python development environments do I need to use?
>
> As far as I know, no tools exist to make developing desktop apps in
> Python like there do VB.

For desktop applications that use the wxPython toolkit for the GUI,
Boa Constructor is a visual GUI builder and IDE that was written to be
a kind of Delphi for Python. I've used it happily for a long time. As
the OP mentioned, it can allow visual designing of the GUI (like
placing buttons, etc.), plus tons more. It's not actively developed
anymore, though, and it is somewhat buggy on Linux (don't know on
Mac).

ErichCart ErichCart

Visual Python seems to be exactly what I want. But it doesn't seem
very popular. Perhaps it means that there are not many people who will
be able to help if I have problems with it. Also judging by the amount
of ads at visualpython.org, it also doesn't seem very serious.

I looked into pyGTK, and I found something called "Glade", which seems
to be something similar to visual python. The latest version of Glade
was released just this month, so it seems to be actively developed.

Regarding Boa constructor, it is very old, isn't it? The latest news
from this project date to the end of 2006. I don't expect it to
support python 3 any time soon.

So, "Glade", is this what everybody uses? I mean programmers don't
just use text editors to make GUI applications, do they?

> That site appears to require a monthly fee, so it may not be a good
> vehicle for demonstrating requirements to a broad audience.

Actually you can play 10 games per day for free, or at least it was
like that when I used it last time. Just enter some random name and
press "start game".

CM

On Mar 5, 6:49 am, ErichCart ErichCart <erichc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding Boa constructor, it is very old, isn't it? The latest news
> from this project date to the end of 2006. I don't expect it to
> support python 3 any time soon.

The website is incredibly out of date, but the last major update was
July 2007. So, yes. Like any snake, it could suddenly rear up and
spring to life with a new version, but there is no way to know when or
if that will happen. Even wxPython itself doesn't support Python 3
yet, so I'm not sure I'd let that deter you. It seems like many third
party libraries haven't updated to Python 3 yet and may not for some
time to come.

All this said, one can build a toy GUI application using Boa, Python
2.5 or 2.6 and wxPython 2.8.x.x. in 5 minutes if you know what you're
doing. And you can build a larger and real application that way, too.

OKB (not okblacke)

Also www.dabodev.com

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell

ErichCart ErichCart

QT Designer looks very nice.
I hope I can use it with PySide. I would rather use PySide than PyQT,
because PyQT is not under LGPL license.