RubyGems and $RUBYLIB

Chris Spiegel

Is it possible to install RubyGems (and, of course, all gems) into
their own little self-contained directory? The analog would be how I
install Perl modules:
perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local/perl LIB=/usr/local/perl/lib

So this way I can set $PERL5LIB to /usr/local/perl/lib, and things like
binaries, man pages, etc are installed to /usr/local/perl/{bin,man} and
so on.

I'd like to do this with RubyGems and $RUBYLIB, so all things gem
related go into /usr/local/ruby. So far I can't find a way to do this
with RubyGems, and was wondering if it's even possible.

Thanks,
Chris