Ruby/X11

Malte Milatz

2/27/2005 10:27:00 AM

Hi folks,

my question about Ruby/X11 (the pure-Ruby implementation of writing X11
applications):

Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
what I'd like to do) without being an X11 guru? Any documentation, any
tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

Thanks in advance

Malte
16 Answers

vruz

> Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
> what I'd like to do) without being an X11 guru? Any documentation, any
> tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

Very readable, clean code, still, you should know at least the basics
of X11 for it to be useful to you.

Keep in mind it was written originally for an older Ruby version
(1.6.4 if I remember well, please correct me Mathieu if I'm wrong)

Still, I don't understand what you mean by "tutorials for other
languages that can be applied"

Ruby/X11 is entirely written in Ruby, to be used from within Ruby
programs, but of course there's plenty of other things that can be
done on top of it, imagination is the limit.

cheers,
vruz

Malte Milatz

Thanks for your answer. When you wrote "the basics of X11", did you mean I
should know the overall structure of the X11 protocol? That's going to be
a lot of stuff to read...

However, it seems that I would have to look at the code of Ruby/X11 and
guess and try out how it does what. That's actually what I wanted to
avoid, because I usually struggle enough with my own code, and don't like
time-consuming exercises like that.

Malte

Eric Hodel

On 27 Feb 2005, at 02:29, Malte Milatz wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> my question about Ruby/X11 (the pure-Ruby implementation of writing X11
> applications):
>
> Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
> what I'd like to do) without being an X11 guru? Any documentation, any
> tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

Ruby/X11 is an X protocol implementation. It lacks many of the helpful
methods of Xlib, so if you'll need to write out similar helpful wrapper
methods yourself.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

apl

On 3 Maj, 23:32, "M.M." <mmars...@gmail.com> wrote:
> W dniu piatek, 3 maja 2013 10:33:57 UTC+2 uzytkownik apl napisal:> Witam! Poszukuje gotowej procedury szybkiego przeksztalcenia
> > kosinusowego jednowymiarowego. Preferowany jezyk - Pascal. Bylbym
> > wdzieczny, za wsparcie.
>
> Do czego to bedzie zastosowane - jesli wolno spytac?
> Pozdrawiam

W analizie drgan, chce sprawdzic róznice pomiedzy DCT, a DFT
apl
http://main3.amu.edu.pl/~apl/...

Mariusz Marszalkowski

W dniu sobota, 4 maja 2013 00:31:17 UTC+2 uzytkownik apl napisal:

> W analizie drgan, chce sprawdzic róznice pomiedzy DCT, a DFT

Interesowalem sie algorytmami z tej serii wiele lat temu i to
tylko pobieznie, wiec nie pomoge. Ale roznice, to powinny byc
prosto opisane w literaturze, moze wystarczy przeczytac?

Pozdrawiam

A.L.

On Fri, 3 May 2013 15:44:43 -0700 (PDT), "M.M." <mmarszik@gmail.com>
wrote:

>W dniu sobota, 4 maja 2013 00:31:17 UTC+2 u?ytkownik apl napisa?:
>
>> W analizie drga?, chc? sprawdzi? r??nice pomi?dzy DCT, a DFT
>
>Interesowalem sie algorytmami z tej serii wiele lat temu i to
>tylko pobieznie, wiec nie pomoge. Ale roznice, to powinny byc
>prosto opisane w literaturze, moze wystarczy przeczytac?
>
>Pozdrawiam

Cos ty, czytac?... W wieku pary i elektrycznosci... ehem... chcialem
pwoedziec, Internetu?

A.L.

Mariusz Marszalkowski

W dniu sobota, 4 maja 2013 01:10:19 UTC+2 uzytkownik A. L. napisal:

> Cos ty, czytac?... W wieku pary i elektrycznosci... ehem... chcialem
> pwoedziec, Internetu?

Ciekawe czy bedzie mozna za jakis czas podlaczyc ksiazke
prosto do mózgu, rano sie obudzic i umiec, albo chociaz
pamietac co nie co. Taki internet prosto z umyslu do umyslu.

Pozdrawiam

A.L.

On Fri, 3 May 2013 15:31:17 -0700 (PDT), apl <apl@icpnet.pl> wrote:

>On 3 Maj, 23:32, "M.M." <mmars...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> W dniu pi?tek, 3 maja 2013 10:33:57 UTC+2 u?ytkownik apl napisa?:> Witam! Poszukuj? gotowej procedury szybkiego przekszta?cenia
>> > kosinusowego jednowymiarowego. Preferowany j?zyk - Pascal. By?bym
>> > wdzi?czny, za wsparcie.
>>
>> Do czego to bedzie zastosowane - jesli wolno spytac?
>> Pozdrawiam
>
>W analizie drga?, chc? sprawdzi? r??nice pomi?dzy DCT, a DFT
>apl
>http://main3.amu.edu.pl/~apl/...

http://www.ecsutton.ece.ufl.edu/dip/handou...

A.L.

apl

> >> Do czego to bedzie zastosowane - jesli wolno spytac?
> >> Pozdrawiam
> http://www.ecsutton.ece.ufl.edu/dip/handou...
>
> A.L.

Dzieki, to pouczajaca lektura, potwierdza moje intuicje, ale ja chce
sprawdzic to na wlasnym, obszernym materiale eksperymentalnym.
apl

bartekltg

W dniu 2013-05-04 10:47, apl pisze:
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> http://www.ecsutton.ece.ufl.edu/dip/handou...
>>
>> A.L.
>
> Dzi??ki, to pouczaj??ca lektura, potwierdza moje intuicje, ale ja chc??
> sprawdzi?? to na w??asnym, obszernym materiale eksperymentalnym.

Ale co chcesz zbada??? Jak wi?????? si?? wsp????czynniki dft z dct?
Do???? prosto (w arytmetyce dok??adnej), przecie?? to tylko sploty
z t?? sam?? przestrzeni??, tylko w innej bazie. Raz exp, raz cos.
Chcesz zbada?? wp??yw zaokr??gle??, stabilno???? numeryczn??,
wypadanie dft z dziedziny rzeczywistej?

pzdr
bartekltg