[gem] what is the rubygems-update package?

Lionel Thiry

2/25/2005 11:52:00 PM

Hello!
What is the rubygems-update package? What is its exact purpose?

I suppose it's for updating rubygem itself. I've downloaded it, but I don't
understand, how am I suppose to use it? Is the update already done once it is
installed? Or do I have some commands to run after that?

Thanks in advance for any clue,
Lionel Thiry
5 Answers

Chad Fowler

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:55:01 +0900, Lionel Thiry
<lthiryidontwantspam@skynetnospam.be> wrote:
> Hello!
> What is the rubygems-update package? What is its exact purpose?
>
> I suppose it's for updating rubygem itself. I've downloaded it, but I don't
> understand, how am I suppose to use it? Is the update already done once it is
> installed? Or do I have some commands to run after that?

After you install it, you do `update_rubygems` to complete the
upgrade. Hopefully will finally fold this into a firstclass feature
this weekend.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Lionel Thiry

Chad Fowler wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:55:01 +0900, Lionel Thiry
> <lthiryidontwantspam@skynetnospam.be> wrote:
>
>>Hello!
>>What is the rubygems-update package? What is its exact purpose?
>>
>>I suppose it's for updating rubygem itself. I've downloaded it, but I don't
>>understand, how am I suppose to use it? Is the update already done once it is
>>installed? Or do I have some commands to run after that?
>>

> After you install it, you do `update_rubygems` to complete the
> upgrade. Hopefully will finally fold this into a firstclass feature
> this weekend.

Thanks a lot!

Lionel Thiry

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

Hi y'all,
I'm new here so please be kind to me :-)

I'm using WinXP Pro, One-click installer Window ruby182-14.exe and
mysql-4.1.10-win32.zip

The code I wrote is : mysql.rb

require 'mysql'

m = Mysql.new("localhost", "ariebanaranakai", "iwakkaring", "budiman")
r = m.query("SELECT username, password FROM user");
r.each_hash do |f|
print "#{f['username']} . #{f['password']}"
end

The Error I got is :

/mysql.rb:3: uninitialized constant Mysql (NameError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
'require__'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
'require'
from mysql.rb:1

What's the matter with this ? I've searched the archieves but found
nothing :-(
I've also asked rubyist mailing list in my country but they averagely
said they never get the problem like I do :'(

Please help me and thanks a lot.

Arie

Bill Guindon

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:37:18 +0900, Arie Kusuma Atmaja
<ariekusumaatmaja@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> Hi y'all,
> I'm new here so please be kind to me :-)

Welcome to Ruby :)

> I'm using WinXP Pro, One-click installer Window ruby182-14.exe and
> mysql-4.1.10-win32.zip
>
> The code I wrote is : mysql.rb
>
> require 'mysql'

replace that last line with these:

require 'rubygems'
require_gem 'mysql'

Can get more help here:
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Quick_In...

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Navindra Umanee

Arie Kusuma Atmaja <ariekusumaatmaja@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> The code I wrote is : mysql.rb
>
> require 'mysql'

Give your file another name. require 'mysql' might be including
itself instead of the Mysql class.

> The Error I got is :
>
> ./mysql.rb:3: uninitialized constant Mysql (NameError)
> from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> 'require__'
> from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> 'require'

Argh RubyGems... they do some ugly things with require too. Anyway
try the above suggestion first before worrying about rubygems...

-N.