amrita and mod_ruby

Javier Valencia

2/22/2005 7:32:00 PM

Have any of you run amrita on mod_ruby?

it gives me lots of "SecurityError" problems, and modifying ruby safe
level on mod_ruby config doesn't work.

I'm using now REXML, but it's a lot of code to generate a relative
simple html page.

2 Answers

ruby talk

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:32:18 +0900, Javier Valencia <jvalencia@log01.org> wrote:
> Have any of you run amrita on mod_ruby?
>
> it gives me lots of "SecurityError" problems, and modifying ruby safe
> level on mod_ruby config doesn't work.

My recollection of working with mod_ruby is that I had some issues
with tainted strings. I had to explicitly untaint or dupe strings to
get around things. (I am not advocating this though; I cannot assure
you that it won't lead to actual security issues, but I was happy when
I ran www.rubyxml.com under mod_ruby.)

> I'm using now REXML, but it's a lot of code to generate a relative
> simple html page.

You may do better with XMLBuilder.

James

Javier Valencia

James G. Britt wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:32:18 +0900, Javier Valencia <jvalencia@log01.org> wrote:
>

>>Have any of you run amrita on mod_ruby?
>>
>>it gives me lots of "SecurityError" problems, and modifying ruby safe
>>level on mod_ruby config doesn't work.
>>

>My recollection of working with mod_ruby is that I had some issues
>with tainted strings. I had to explicitly untaint or dupe strings to
>get around things. (I am not advocating this though; I cannot assure
>you that it won't lead to actual security issues, but I was happy when
>I ran www.rubyxml.com under mod_ruby.)

My problem is that SecurityError is raised from amrita code, not mine.
Is that a coding error? should i submit a bug?

>>I'm using now REXML, but it's a lot of code to generate a relative
>>simple html page.
>>

>You may do better with XMLBuilder.
>
>James

I use gentoo, and XMLBuilder is only available as a gem, rubygems is
marked unstable in my distribution, but i'll give it a try going to the
great world of unstable things.