Anyone run rbbr on OS X?

Jim Freeze

2/21/2005 9:42:00 PM

Hi

Before I go off and try to install rbbr on OS X, I thought I would
ask if anyone has experience with getting it installed and
working on OS X.

If you have it working, do you have a set of instructions for
the install (and all the dependencies)?

Thanks
--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

3 Answers

Shalev NessAiver

Well, it shouldn't be that hard. You can install the ruby-gnome
bindings (and Gnome too for that matter) using
DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.open...). Be forewarned though
that doing this will create an entirely
new ruby install located within your /opt/local directory. Personally,
this is how I use Ruby period as if offers
an easy way to have an up-to-date Ruby install as well as added other
programs (FreeRIDE to name one).

-Shalev

On Feb 21, 2005, at 4:41 PM, jim@freeze.org wrote:

> Hi
>
> Before I go off and try to install rbbr on OS X, I thought I would
> ask if anyone has experience with getting it installed and
> working on OS X.
>
> If you have it working, do you have a set of instructions for
> the install (and all the dependencies)?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jim Freeze
> Code Red. Code Ruby

Jim Freeze

* Shalev NessAiver <shalev@simplyphysics.com> [2005-02-22 10:47:32 +0900]:

> Well, it shouldn't be that hard. You can install the ruby-gnome
> bindings (and Gnome too for that matter) using
> DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.open...). Be forewarned though

That's good to hear. You seem to imply that Gnome is optional.
Is that correct?

> that doing this will create an entirely
> new ruby install located within your /opt/local directory. Personally,
> this is how I use Ruby period as if offers
> an easy way to have an up-to-date Ruby install as well as added other
> programs (FreeRIDE to name one).

Thanks for pointing out FreeRIDE on darwin ports. I didn't know it
was there and I was just wondering how I was going to install it. :)

--
Jim Freeze
Code Red. Code Ruby

Shalev NessAiver

On Feb 22, 2005, at 9:47 AM, jim@freeze.org wrote:

> That's good to hear. You seem to imply that Gnome is optional.
> Is that correct?

From the rbbr page:

Requirements:
# ruby 1.6.x, 1.8.x, 1.9.x
# Ruby/GTK2 0.9.1(older versions can't work this rbbr)

All others are optional (though probably useful).

So all you really need is the Ruby/GTK bindings (not Gnome)

"port install rb-gnome" Should install everything.

From the long_description of that port:

"Gnome2 libraries for ruby including gtk2, gstreamer, gconf, gnomevfs
and more."

So... While Gnome may be optional according to rbbr, DarwinPorts will
probably install that
as a dependancy for rb-gnome. However, it probably won't give you a
full Gnome install, only
the libraries that are dependencies of rb-Gnome.

-Shalev