Re: [ANN] FXIrb 0.14 - a Win32 GUI wrapper around IRB

> Lähettäjä: James Britt <jamesUNDERBARb@neurogami.com>
> Aihe: Re: [ANN] FXIrb 0.14 - a Win32 GUI wrapper around IRB
>
> Shashank Date wrote:
>
>> James Britt wrote:
>>

>>> Or, put another way, what do find so painful about the cmd shell?
>>

>> Does code completion work for you on Windows cmd shell?
>

> Code completion in the cmd shell? Or in irb in the cmd shell?
> How would I test this?

I'm assuming tab completion. _why had brief instructions for this,
I haven't tried so I couldn't say if they work.

----
Okay, here?s what you do to get tab completion working in Windows. Download this. A zip with two files inside. These get copied into your Ruby installation. Place readline.dll in the bin folder. The readline.so goes in lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 folder.

Then, run in your command shell: irb --readline -r irb/completion.

And for Europeans, you?ll need this. Save it as .inputrc and place it in your home directory. (Your personal directory which contains your Desktop and My Documents folders.)
----

The original (with foxes): http://poignantguide.net/ruby/expansion-...

> James

James Britt

E S wrote:
>>Lähettäjä: James Britt <jamesUNDERBARb@neurogami.com>
>>Aihe: Re: [ANN] FXIrb 0.14 - a Win32 GUI wrapper around IRB
>
> I'm assuming tab completion. _why had brief instructions for this,
> I haven't tried so I couldn't say if they work.

I have general file/directory tab completion working. It's fairly
simple to set up (there's a registry entry someplace, though I tend to
use TweakUI or something like that when I have the choice).

I seem to recall a thread on getting code completion in irb, so I
thought perhaps Shashank was referring to that.

James

Shashank Date

James Britt wrote:

>> I'm assuming tab completion. _why had brief instructions for this,
>> I haven't tried so I couldn't say if they work.

Yes, I meant tab completion in irb. Jim Freeze had shown it to me while
at RubyConf. But it was linux or Mac, I forget. I tried to get it work
on Windows but was not successful, not knowing where to keep the .irbrc
file.

> I have general file/directory tab completion working. It's fairly
> simple to set up (there's a registry entry someplace, though I tend to
> use TweakUI or something like that when I have the choice).

And that I have working too.

> I seem to recall a thread on getting code completion in irb, so I
> thought perhaps Shashank was referring to that.

Code completion would be an added bonus ;-)

> James

Sorry for the confusion.
-- shanko

Csaba Henk

On 2005-02-19, E S <eero.saynatkari@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
>> Code completion in the cmd shell? Or in irb in the cmd shell?
>> How would I test this?
>
> I'm assuming tab completion. _why had brief instructions for this,
> I haven't tried so I couldn't say if they work.

With ruby-mingw on win2k, tab completion worked for me out of the box.

Csaba

gabriele renzi

Csaba Henk ha scritto:

> With ruby-mingw on win2k, tab completion worked for me out of the box.

interesting, did you ever had the (many times reported) problems that
people are experiencing with the mswin build? (i.e. random crashes)?

Csaba Henk

On 2005-02-20, gabriele renzi <rff_rff@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Csaba Henk ha scritto:
>
>> With ruby-mingw on win2k, tab completion worked for me out of the box.
>>

> interesting, did you ever had the (many times reported) problems that
> people are experiencing with the mswin build? (i.e. random crashes)?

No, but it doesn't mean much, as I use it very rarely (just for
testing my scripts on Windows, or for simple tasks, ones for which you'd
use shell under unix -- this latter is also very rare, as the only thing
I use Windows for is testing my ruby scripts, and scanning).

Csaba