Can't Install on MacOS X

Gavin Kistner

2/18/2005 4:48:00 AM

I just got a new Mac, and need to get Ruby 1.8 running ASAP, or I'll go
into withdrawal.

I ran the 'XCode tools' installer, including gcc 3.3 and the BSD SDK.

My system says:
[Sliver:local/src/ruby-1.8.2] root# uname -a
Darwin Sliver.local 7.7.2 Darwin Kernel Version 7.7.2: Wed Dec 22
20:01:20 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.10.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc

[Sliver:local/src/ruby-1.8.2] root# ./configure
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.7.2
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.7.2
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.7.2
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Inside config.log, possibly relevant lines are:
configure:1417: checking target system type
configure:1431: result: powerpc-apple-darwin7.7.2
configure:1658: checking for gcc
configure:1674: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:1684: result: gcc
configure:1928: checking for C compiler version
configure:1931: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
NO
PURPOSE.

configure:1934: $? = 0
configure:1936: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)
configure:1939: $? = 0
configure:1941: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: `-V' option must have argument
configure:1944: $? = 1
configure:1968: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1971: gcc conftest.c >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
configure:1974: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #line 1947 "configure"
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h. */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| ;
| return 0;
| }
configure:2013: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Anyone know what step I missed?

2 Answers

Gavin Kistner

Nevermind! Apparently I was too frugal in my dev tools install.

Install the MacOS SDK fixed the trouble.

Sukalukon

On Feb 26, 12:19 am, Zanzibar <zanzibar_d...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 11:21 pm, AleXX <somed...@wherecanyougetsogooddeed.net>
> wrote:
>

> >http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25107298-6...
>
> > PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd has splurged close to $3.4 million on overseas
> > travel since coming to power.
>
> > The figure makes him one of Australia's most extravagant jet-setters.
>
> > The globe-trotting PM has racked up one overseas trip every month on
> > average - and spent close to one in six days on foreign soil.
>
> > Taxpayers have paid a hefty price for Mr Rudd's 15 global trips, but the
> > PM is stoutly defending the amount of time he spends meeting world leaders.
>
> > But with the Government now forecasting a hefty budget deficit, the
> > Opposition has slammed the travel costs an "absolute disgrace" and
> > branded the PM "Emperor Kevin".
>
> > One 18-day odyssey to the US, Belgium, Romania, Britain and China cost a
> > whopping $640,749.
>
> > Five-star accommodation and meals cost just over $100,000 while
> > commercial airfares for Mr Rudd's advance team hit $52,000.
>
> > Mr Rudd took 11 of his personal staff and wife Therese Rein, along with
> > a flotilla of public servants, security personnel and his personal GP.
>
> How come Singapore dont have similar splurge list of expenses like
> theirs It is good to follow the best practice ways of governance.
> Australia has this transparent way which is able to transparent it to
> the media and the public and is able to account why visits benefited
> the country, and not for personal "glory and reputation".  In Cananda
> there is a website in which the expense account of each minster is
> tabulated on the website. It is accurately reported so tha the public
> knows whether the minster did pay for own expenses, such lunch and
> dinner or the air ticket, or if they had went for spa treatment on
> personal or public expense or not.

Please don't reply to this fake monkey.