[EVALUATION] - E02 - Nitro, a Ruby Based WebFramework

Ilias Lazaridis

2/17/2005 6:33:00 PM

[EVALUATION] - E01: The Java Failure - May Ruby Helps?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/a19cd7...

-

[I ask the Community friendly to not intervene with off-topic postings.
Of course I cannot demand that anyone keeps those essential usenet rule.
As a reminder, the standard off-topic marker is "[OT]"]

-

I got an very intresting answer to my evaluation-stack within the
nitro-general mailinglist.

I like to ask Mr. George Moschovitis to take the effort to repeat his
answer here in c.l.ruby.

I've copied the current version for your convenience into this message.

[please, if it is possible, do not delete parts of the text, but answer
simple with "not-available" or similar]

-
-
-

jamStack - Technology Collection

[V0.4 - draft]

This is the main page of the fictive technology collection jamStack,
which serves as an evaluation template for real live technology and
tools collections.
IDE

An IDE is not contained in this technology stack. An IDE supports this
technology stack (and possibly adds/enhances some of the functionality).
Analysis&Design

* OOAD - Think, Analyze and Design in a straight Object [or
component] Oriented
way
* Use of metadata within the design (on text level [code file])
* Fully synchronized Code level and/or Visual design.

Code Generators

* Use of predefined and user defined code generators

Deployment

* Initial design runs on local client.
* Ability to transform design to run on higher grade systems
o High Load Systems (load balancing, clustering )
o large scale OODBMS
* Ability to transform design to run on embedded devices.

Persistency

[An evaluation template for ObjectRelationalMapper (ORM) can be found
within jamORM.]

* Persitency layer results directly out of the Object Model
* No need to deal with persitency tools, xml-config-files etc.
* Provides persistence-design-metadata
o accessible by code-generators
o accessible by runtime
* Flexible Technology usage
o RDBMS or OODBMS
o Embedded within app
o or on seperate server
* Easy migration mechanisms
o Technology A to B
o Vendor A to B

Security

* Flexible security system
o Security inheritance
o Plugable security systems
* Supports several encryption strengths

GUI / Webinterface

* Exchangeable GUI System
* GUI is decoupled from Business Objects
* Automated creation of Objects [Components] webinterfaces
o display Objects
o create Objects
o edit Objects

Visual Modeling

* Use of UML to model the design
* Code level defined metadata is available/editable within UML tool
* Uses same code-generators that are used within IDE / Command-Line

Automation

* All production steps should be automated or semi-automated.
* Automation is based on user-defined rule-systems.
* Manual processing can always override automations.

License and Standards Requirements

The combined technologies include one or more programming languages and
should fulfill whenever possible the following prioritized basic
requirements:

[For programming languages: at minimum the "execution environment" or
"runtime".]

* Based on Open Source (FSF freedom, OSI extensibility)
* Based on Open Standards
* Platform independent
* Language neutral

Examples

* ODMG - object persistence
* CORBA - distributed systems
* ...

.

--
http://laz...
50 Answers

Aredridel

> [V0.4 - draft]
>
> This is the main page of the fictive technology collection jamStack,
> which serves as an evaluation template for real live technology and
> tools collections.
> IDE
>
> An IDE is not contained in this technology stack. An IDE supports this
> technology stack (and possibly adds/enhances some of the functionality).
> Analysis&Design

what are you trying to accomplish?

Ari

Luke Graham

Wow, I actually predicted this post in another thread. Nitro vs ruby is clearly
his aim.

Ari : Hes trying to accomplish what all trolls aim for - grief.

--
spooq

Alexander Kellett

not too sure to be honest.
i'm guessing he's so full of buzzwords and
"enabling technologies" that we're having
difficulty really understanding what he wants ;)
the response from george on nitro-general
was actually interesting :) thusly proving
how nice the community really are :)
Alex

On Feb 18, 2005, at 2:45 AM, Luke Graham wrote:
> Wow, I actually predicted this post in another thread. Nitro vs ruby
> is clearly
> his aim.
>
> Ari : Hes trying to accomplish what all trolls aim for - grief.
>

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:54:05 +0900, Aredridel <aredridel@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> [V0.4 - draft]
>>>
>>> This is the main page of the fictive technology collection jamStack,
>>> which serves as an evaluation template for real live technology and
>>> tools collections.
>>> IDE
>>>
>>> An IDE is not contained in this technology stack. An IDE supports
>>> this
>>> technology stack (and possibly adds/enhances some of the
>>> functionality).
>>> Analysis&Design
>>
>> what are you trying to accomplish?
>>
>> Ari
>>

> --
> spooq

Luke Graham

Im investigating nitro myself now, so trolls can be a catalyst for
good as much as for evil. They just cause people to show their
true selves. Hes stimulated lots of useful conversation
here so far, which has got to be the ultimate proof that ruby
programmers have only good in their hearts. :D

--
spooq

Alexander Kellett

i take this back i read some of the various
postings from mr Lazaridis that google has
kindly provided me with

insult counts
ilias: uncountable, probably asymptotic over time
world: < 100

ilias you're making no friends here
stop being rude you'll just go through
yet another community

the fact is, that you've made some very good
points on very many forums. but interleaving
them with personal insults and then accusing
kind informative posters of being off topic
when they merely try to help...

well. the term is "hate mongering"

Alex

On Feb 18, 2005, at 3:19 AM, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> not too sure to be honest.
> i'm guessing he's so full of buzzwords and
> "enabling technologies" that we're having
> difficulty really understanding what he wants ;)
> the response from george on nitro-general
> was actually interesting :) thusly proving
> how nice the community really are :)
> Alex
>
> On Feb 18, 2005, at 2:45 AM, Luke Graham wrote:
>> Wow, I actually predicted this post in another thread. Nitro vs ruby
>> is clearly
>> his aim.
>>
>> Ari : Hes trying to accomplish what all trolls aim for - grief.

>>> what are you trying to accomplish?
>>>
>>> Ari
>>>

>> --
>> spooq

Bill Guindon

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:30:49 +0900, Alexander Kellett
<ruby-lists@lypanov.net> wrote:
> i take this back i read some of the various
> postings from mr Lazaridis that google has
> kindly provided me with
>
> insult counts
> ilias: uncountable, probably asymptotic over time
> world: < 100
>
> ilias you're making no friends here
> stop being rude you'll just go through
> yet another community
>
> the fact is, that you've made some very good
> points on very many forums. but interleaving
> them with personal insults and then accusing
> kind informative posters of being off topic
> when they merely try to help...
>
> well. the term is "hate mongering"

Sounds about right. The list of boards, user groups, news groups and
websites that this guy has been shunned from is astonishing.

On the brighter side... He did pick Ruby as his next "target", and
there's a part of me that thinks the Ruby community should feel
honored :)

It's sort of like thinking you're in this small hidden outpost that
nobody's ever heard of, then rumor spreads that Ghengis Kahn plans to
invade (almost Godwin'd myself there). Certainly it's a sign that
"Ruby has arrived!" :)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Martin DeMello

Luke Graham <spoooq@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, I actually predicted this post in another thread. Nitro vs ruby
> is clearly his aim.

Except that Nitro is written in ruby :)

martin

Luke Graham

I thought he was talking about the nitro programming language?

--
spooq

Martin DeMello

Luke Graham <spoooq@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought he was talking about the nitro programming language?

http://rubyforge.org/proje...

(Any links on nitro-the-language? All I found was the pdf of someone's
thesis, which timed out when I tried to load it)

martin

Luke Graham

http://di002.edv.uniovi.es/reflection/lab/...
http://di002.edv.uniovi.es/reflection/lab/proto...

The pdfs are in Spanish.

I do see George Moschovitis's name on a post in the ruby-forge nitro's
mailing list, so you got the correct nitro :)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:30:09 +0900, Martin DeMello

--
spooq